Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) provides aid in more than 70 countries to people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe, primarily due to armed conflict, epidemics, malnutrition, exclusion from health care, or natural disasters. MSF provides independent, impartial assistance to those most in need. MSF speaks out to bring attention to neglected crises, to challenge inadequacies or abuse of the aid system, and to advocate for improved medical treatments and protocols.
The New York office of MSF is seeking a Communications Assistant to provide administrative support to the Communications Department and assist with media and outreach functions.
- Support the Communications Director in managing budgeting and annual planning budget processes
- Maintains appropriate quantity of marketing materials in office, reorders items as needed, and manages storage of item
- Schedule, draft agenda and take notes for departmental meetings
- Organizes communications shared files and maintains communications calendars and project lists;
- Work with senior staff to maintain and refine file management and audio visual file archiving protocols and ensure ongoing, consistent file management.
- Maintain library, filing systems and archives.
- Reply to general email and telephone queries, and recommend updates to boilerplate correspondence in coordination with Program Associate and Reception. Vector queries to appropriate department personnel.
- Make travel arrangements for department staff
- Produce and compile monthly analytics reports on key performance indicators for the department.
- Distribute news releases, press kits and photographs to media representatives.
- Assist with research and writing tasks, as assigned.
- Provide support to special events and educational initiatives.
- Manage relationships with department volunteers
- General administrative support to the department, including invoice management, expense reports and credit card statements
- Manage department subscriptions
- Ensure recording of brown bag lectures and other internal presentations, as needed, and upkeep archive of these materials.
- Attends regularly scheduled staff meetings and office-wide debates to participate in information sharing across all departments, and stay informed on important MSF topics so as to be able to contribute to the organization’s ongoing development.
- Performs general office duties e.g., copying, faxing, mailing, ordering reference materials, etc
- Minimum 2 years related work experience, preferably in a non-profit environment, plus Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Excellent written and spoken English; Excellent spelling and grammar.
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills.
- Strong computer literacy, including ability to use word processing and spreadsheet and database software and to search the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to synthesize information from a variety of sources and record information accurately and in the appropriate style for publication in different venues.
- Ability to screen incoming calls and visitors with discretion and judgment.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF.
- Competency in Spanish or French preferred
Starting non-exempt salary in mid 40’s (commensurate with experience) for a 35-hour work week; additional hours and overtime sometimes required. Excellent benefits, Training opportunities and growth potential.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, Attn.: Communications Assistant Search.