Reports to: Desk Associate
Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months
Location: New York City
Due to the volume of applications received, the Desk Internship does not accept applications on a rolling basis. Please do not submit applications for the fall internship until after July 21, 2014.
Objective: To assist in the preparation of all departure and return procedures to ensure successful movements to/from the field projects of the NY Desk; while gaining knowledge and exposure to specific MSF operations.
Overview: The New York Desk functions under Operational Center Paris and manages operations in 3 countries: Chad, South Sudan, and Ethiopia. The Desk is comprised of a 9 person team who oversees and directs all aspects of field operations in those countries. The Desk intern will assist the NY Desk with administrative responsibilities related to travel, visas, and work permits for the expatriate staff traveling to and from the field projects.
This internship is ideal for anyone considering a career in international relations, and particularly in the administration of international, non-profit field work.
Duties: The Desk Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Perform research on work permit and visa procedures
- Prepare complete and accurate visa application packages for expatriates going to Desk countries
- Courier visa applications to consulates
- Assist the Desk Associate with research and booking for flights, hotels, and vaccination appointments
- Update employee staff files
- Filing and other administrative support tasks including various ongoing projects
- Attend BBLs, public education events, and staff and department meetings as often as scheduling allows
Skills: Applicants should have:
- A genuine commitment to MSF's humanitarian principles
- Excellent administrative skills and attention to detail
- International travel experience
- Familiarity with planning complex travel arrangements
- A working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and databases
- Initiative and confidence to ask questions in a fast-paced work environment
- Fluent in English, French an asset