Reports to: Association Coordinator/Executive Associate
Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months
Location: New York City
Objective: The Executive Department of Doctors is comprised of a three-person core team of Executive Director, Executive Associate and Association Coordinator. The Executive Director heads the office Management Team, and works in conjunction with the Board of Directors, to guarantee the overall functioning of MSF USA and MSF USA's involvement in the larger MSF movement. The Association Coordinator's role is to foster leadership and activism within the MSF-USA Association comprised largely of returned MSF field volunteers and staff members.
Overview: To provide administrative support to the Association Coordinator and Executive Associate, while providing practical learning experience and exposure to an applicant interested in international humanitarian work, NGO administration, and advocacy. This internship is ideal for anyone considering a career in international relations, and particularly in the administration of non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Executive Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Update and maintain the MSF USA Association membership roll, under the direction of the Association Coordinator
- Update and maintain, under the direction of the Association Coordinator, the Association database
- Update and maintain, under the direction of the Association Coordinator, materials on the Association website
- Assist with the editing, preparation, and distribution of the Insider, the quarterly newsletter of MSF-USA's association of volunteers, as well as the bi-weekly electronic newsletter
- Provide logistical support to the Association Coordinator in preparation of the annual General Assembly and other regional events and meetings.
- Provide administrative support to Association Coordinator as required
- Compile background materials for monthly meetings of the Board of Directors of MSF-USA
- Provide logistical support to the Executive Associate when these meetings are held in New York (September, November, February, May, June)
- Conduct ongoing research, under the direction of the Executive Associate, on trademark and intellectual property issues pertaining to "Without Borders" organizations and the MSF mark as it is used in the US.
Skills: Applicants should have:
- A genuine commitment to MSF's humanitarian principles and a general understanding of international current events.
- Excellent administrative/logistical skills
- Ability to work independently and with limited supervision.
- A working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Access.
- Excellent attention to detail and proofreading ability.
- Initiative and confidence to ask questions in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work independently on multiple tasks
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills