Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months
Location: New York City
Objective: To assist Foundations and Corporations (F&C) section of MSF's Development Team while providing a practical learning experience to students interested in foundation and corporate fundraising through conducting basic prospect research and assisting with cultivating prospective and existing donors.
The Foundations and Corporations Intern will work closely with the F&C fundraising team offering day-to-day research and administrative support and meeting project-based needs as they arise. S/he will learn how an international organization approaches and cultivates foundation and corporations in order to receive large donations. Candidates should have interest and some knowledge of fundraising with foundations and/or corporations, particularly knowledge of corporate giving programs or cultivation processes of NGOs.
The F&C Intern will also have the opportunity, through working in the office, to learn about MSF's international programs and the role that MSF-USA plays in the MSF movement. This internship is ideal for anyone considering a career in development (fundraising), with a particular focus on large-capacity fundraising, and in the administration of non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
The Foundations and Corporations Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Assist with carrying out large and small mailings (30%)
- Assist with researching prospective and existing foundation and corporate donors (25%)
- Customize presentations, letters, reports, and proposals; complete grant applications (20%)
- Create and compile supplemental material upon requests by donors (consolidating budgets, gathering media, formatting articles, etc.) (20%)
- Assist with travel and meeting coordination (inter-departmental conferences, donor visits, field visits, etc.) (5%)
- Attend BBLs, public education events, and staff and department meetings as often as scheduling allows
- Experience or interest in fundraising, particularly with Foundations and/or Corporations
- Capacity to multi-task and ability to prioritize across multiple projects
- Strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Word & Excel, constituency database)
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- For a new initiative, candidates with general knowledge of, or involvement in a fandom community (e.g. video games, comics, cosplay, fanfiction, RPG, conventions) are encouraged to apply.