Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months
Location: New York City
Objective: To assist Foundations and Corporations (FC) section of MSF's Development Team while providing a practical learning experience to students interested in foundation and corporate fundraising, basic prospect research and some grant writing.
Overview: The Foundations and Corporations Intern will be supporting the administrative activities of the Prospect Research and Systems manager and the activities of FC Staff. S/he will learn how an organization approaches and cultivates foundation and corporations in order to receive large donations. S/he will also have the opportunity, through working in the office, to learn about MSF's international programs and the role that MSF-USA plays in the MSF movement. This internship is ideal for anyone considering a career in development (fundraising), and in the administration of non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Duties: The Foundations and Corporations Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Help implement a database donor rating system, doing basic research and data entry (25%)
- Assist with large and small mailings (30%)
- Assist with research on existing and new foundation and corporate donors (20%)
- Customize letters, reports, and proposals; complete grant applications. (15%)
- Attend BBLs, public education events, and staff and department meetings as often as scheduling allows
- Strong computer skills (e.g. Excel, database)
- Strong organizational skills
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF