Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, and to victims of armed conflict, irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions. When medical assistance is not enough to save lives, MSF will speak out against human rights abuses and violations of humanitarian law its teams witness while providing medical relief.
Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months
Location: New York City
To assist Major Gifts section of MSF's Development Team while providing basic knowledge of non-profit fundraising.
Overview: The Major Gift Intern will be supporting the administrative activities of the Major Gift Director, Officer and the activities of the Major Gifts Staff. S/he will learn how an organization approaches and cultivates individuals in order to receive large donations. S/he will also have the opportunity, through working in the office, to learn about MSF's international programs and the role that MSF-USA plays in the MSF movement. This internship is ideal for anyone considering a career in development (fundraising), and in the administration of non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
- The Major Gifts Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Help manage major donor events e.g. mail invitations, maintain RSVP list (25%)
- Assist with large and small mailings (25%)
- Review and correct donor database records, and possibly assist in conversion from one donor database to another (20%)
- Attend BBLs, public education events, and staff and department meetings as often as scheduling allows
- Strong computer skills (e.g. Excel, database)
- Strong organizational skills
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF
Email your resume and cover letter, with Subject line: (Major Gifts Internship - Fall 2010) to email@example.com. If applying to more than one internship position, please send a separate e-mail for each application. To learn more, visit www.doctorswithoutborders.org.