Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months
Location: New York City
Objective: To assist the Major Gifts Prospect Research area of MSF's Development Team while providing basic knowledge of non-profit fundraising.
Overview: The Major Gifts Prospect Research Intern will support the administrative and research activities of the Manager of Prospect Research, Major Gifts, and the rest of the Major Gifts team. S/he will learn how an organization approaches and cultivates individuals in order to receive large donations. S/he will also have the opportunity, through working in the office, to learn about MSF's international programs and the role that MSF-USA plays in the MSF movement. This internship is ideal for anyone considering a career in development (fundraising), and in the administration of non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Duties: The Major Gifts Prospect Research Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Assist in prospecting for new donors and researching current MSF donors (30%)
- Review and correct donor database records (30%)
- Assist with large and small mailings (25%))
- Attend BBLs, public education events, and staff and department meetings as often as scheduling allows
- Keen attention to detail and an eye for data
- Strong research skills and an inquisitive mind
- Strong computer skills (e.g. Excel, database)
- Strong organizational skills
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF