Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months
Location: New York City
Objective: To assist the Planned Giving section of MSF's Development Team.
Overview: The Planned Giving Intern supports the administrative activities of the Planned Giving Department. S/he will learn how an organization cultivates (mostly older) individuals who have included MSF in their estate plans or would consider doing so, and administers planned gifts that have matured. S/he will also have the opportunity, through working in the office, to learn about MSF's international programs and the role that MSF-USA plays in the MSF movement. This internship is ideal for anyone considering a career in development (fundraising), and in the administration of non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Duties: The Planned Giving Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Review bequest notices (notices from attorneys that MSF has been named in a donor’s will) and enter information in database; review open bequest files to determine status.
- Assist with processing Charitable Gift Annuities (a common type of planned gift involving an agreement with the donor)
- Write thank-you notes for bequest gifts and charitable gift annuities.
- Assist with mailings to Planned Giving donors.
- Send out letters responding to donor requests for information.
- Review and correct donor database records.
- Attend MSF internal presentations, public education events, and staff and department meetings as often as scheduling allows.
- Strong computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, database)
- Strong organizational skills
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF