Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: Part-time, 20 hrs/week
Duration: August—December 2014 (5 months)
Location: New York City
Objective: To assist the Planned Giving section of the Development department within Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF).
Overview: The Planned Giving Intern primarily supports the administrative activities of the Planned Giving team. S/he will learn how a large, non-governmental organization (NGO) administers bequests and other planned gifts, and cultivates individuals who could include or have included MSF in their estate plans. S/he will also have the opportunity to learn about MSF's operations and international medical programs in more than 70 countries around the world. This internship is well-suited for anyone considering a career in development (fundraising), and in the administration of non-profit organizations or NGOs.
Duties: The Planned Giving Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Review bequest notices (notices from attorneys that MSF has been named in a donor’s will) and other estate documents, while entering all information in database
- Communicate effectively via telephone with estate executors, attorneys and donors.
- Assist with processing other planned gifts, including Charitable Gift Annuities.
- Prepare and send letters to donors who request more information about MSF’s planned giving opportunities.
- Review and correct donor database records.
- Complete other administrative tasks as assigned by Planned Giving Officer.
- Attend MSF internal presentations, public education events, and staff and department meetings as often as scheduling allows.
- Strong computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel).
- Strong organizational skills and high attention to detail.
- Experience with large databases or donor management systems (i.e. Revolution Online, Raiser’s Edge, Team Approach).
- Genuine commitment to MSF’s principles and work.