English

To maintain its operational independence and flexibility, MSF relies on the general public for nearly 87 percent of its operating funds. The remaining 13 percent of funds come from international agencies and governments. MSF has not received or solicited US government funding since 2002.

In 2008, MSF's worldwide income was $979 million, to which US private donors contributed more than $128 million.

In recent years, your contributions have enabled MSF to significantly expand funding for programs in the field: reaching more people in need, responding more quickly to emergencies, broadening the range of medical services we provide, and improving the quality of our interventions by using more effective medications. With your support, MSF is committed to improving the impact and expanding the reach of its programs in the years to come.

Also, the financial independence provided by your contributions allows MSF to:

  • Choose freely where to intervene based on medical needs alone.
  • Intervene quickly, particularly in emergency situations, without waiting for political actors or the media to mobilize.
  • Decline government funding that may compromise our ability to implement effective programs.
  • Commit resources and teams to innovative projects to improve the lives of those individuals we aid, and demonstrate their appropriateness in specific interventions. In this way, MSF was able to treat patients living with HIV/AIDS with antiretroviral medicines well before governments started allocating funding for this activity.