Temporary Grants Officer (2 months)
Type: Temporary Full-time Exempt for 2 Months
Please note for this role MSF experience, either field or headquarters, is required.
MSF-USA provides over $300 million in funding annually to the larger MSF movement, through grants to the Operational Centers for medical humanitarian programs, and to the International Office, Access Campaign and the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative. The Grants Officer oversees all financial, compliance, programmatic and information management responsibilities relevant to the MSF-USA grant making process.
We are recruiting a temporary Grants Officer to manage these duties while the current Grants Manager is on maternity leave. Are you interested in learning more about MSF governance and structures, from US to international level? Would you like to get a unique vantage point on the operational policies at all 5 MSF Operational Centers? Do you have an equal knack for numbers and for narratives? Are you curious about how MSF funding works? Are you fluent in MSF acronyms? Do you have MSF field or headquarters experience? If so, we encourage you to apply.
Coordination with the different Operational Centers (OCs) and the International Office (IO); preparing and reviewing all relevant information to present grants to the Program Committee and Board; performing all necessary due diligence, grant approval and disbursement planning; as well as all other aspects of the administration of MSF-USA private grants.
S/he ensures that the MSF-USA grant making process complies with US legal requirements and accountancy principles.
S/he critically reviews, follows up and monitors the operational plan and the execution of operational policies of the OCs and other MSF initiatives. S/he serves as the internal focal point for relevant operational strategies, plans and activities, and proactively and reactively directs information to internal stakeholders.
S/he ensures that all donor restrictions (whether time or purpose restrictions) are identified, properly recorded and finally met.
Though the Grants Officer is placed in the Finance department, s/he coordinates the flow of information regarding grants among the Program Committee, the Development Department, the Operational Support Department and the 5 Operational Centers of MSF as well as the MSF International Office.
The ideal candidate for this role will be:
· familiar with the basics of MSF movement structure and programs, and willing to learn more
· a diplomatic team player, comfortable working across departments and MSF sections
· adept at fact-finding across many sources of information
· skilled at synthesizing and managing data and information from multiple sources and formats
· confident with presenting complex information to diverse stakeholders, ranging from the MSF-USA Board of Directors and fundraising managers to auditors and financial managers, verbally and in writing
· interested in learning about, and staying well-informed on, the details of MSF field activities
· willing to contribute to planned grants management system improvements
· meticulous about document management and sharing rules
· proficient with Excel and familiar with the basics of database administration
· able to manage and prioritize diverse responsibilities while maintaining flexibility to respond to unanticipated tasks
· willing to assist with relevant tasks that aren’t in a standard job description
· experienced with a minimum of 3-5 years directly related experience, plus Bachelor's degree (B. A.), or equivalent combination of education and experience, is required. Candidates must be fluent in written and oral English, and have strong computer literacy, including ability to use word processing and spreadsheet and database software and to search the internet for research purposes.
Preferred competencies and knowledge include:
· Knowledge of legal and regulatory issues relevant to US nonprofit organizations
· Knowledge of MSF fundraising policies
· French and/or Spanish language skills
· Experience with creating and managing budgets
Send letter of interest/cover letter and CV to: Employment.firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Temporary Grants Officer Search. Any application submitted without letter of interest/cover letter will not be considered.
Salary - Low to Mid 70s (USD). Comprehensive benefits provided. Generous paid time off. A friendly, supportive environment.
Please submit applications by: August 4, 2017. Please note that the desired start date and end-date for this position is August 28th to October 27th, 2017. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about this position.