Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that provides medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries. We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Systems Department in the U.S. office of Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) acts like the organization's central nervous system, providing the vital information infrastructure to ensure the smooth functioning of all its operations. The Systems Department is responsible for building, configuring and maintaining the technical architecture, both physical and virtual, which ensures MSF can achieve the ambitions of its mission.
The overarching strategic initiative of the Systems Department: Making Systems Fundamentally Work (MSFW) consist of interrelated projects which encompasses all strategic systems development which is required to deliver business value to the organization. Working within the MSFW program team requires above all agility, flexibility and a willingness to respond to the shifting priorities of a world-renowned emergency medical relief organization.
From a staffing perspective, the MSFW program has been designed to scale up rapidly depending on the changing needs of the organization. Similarly, it will scale down quickly if it fails to deliver value or if MSF-USA's funding situation dramatically changes. Contracts for project-based employment within the MSFW program are generally six months in length and include all standard benefits of MSF-USA full-time employment. Contracts are often renewed if the skills of the position are required for subsequent phases of MSFW activity, but no guarantees for future employment are made beyond the six-month intervals of the MSFW employment contracts.
The Business Analyst (BA) works closely with the department end-users and technical teams. The BA is responsible for analysis and writes the business and functional requirements. This person understands how to determine the value proposition of a technological change and ensures that there is integration between business and technology.
This role performs feasibility analysis, scopes projects, and works with the project management team to prioritize deliverables and negotiate product functionalities. The BA understands development processes, the System Development Life Cycle and is very analytical with problem-solving and conflict resolution skills to help identify, communicate and resolve issues.
Requirements Gathering and Project Management Support (50%)
- Analyze and model the business domain to create a complete picture of work-flows and technical requirements fulfilled by existing and proposed software.
- Define functional requirements using use case diagrams and/or business requirement documents (BRD). Coordinate requirements walk-through and sign-offs, verifying with user representatives/stakeholders that use cases and process models accurately portray specific business needs.
- Support traceability from requirements through to QA; assist in the definition of test plans and testing strategies and in the creation of test cases.
- Assist in roll out, training and user support plans.
- Contribute to project plans: perform feasibility analysis, scope projects, and work with the project management team to prioritize deliverables, and negotiate product functionalities.
- Support the creation of Agile user stories to capture end user and technical needs in terms of value delivery.
- Provide analytic support by coordinating data extraction from various databases for data interpretation.
- Organize and/or participate in User Acceptance Testing (UAT) and Functionality Testing.
- Create and/or review manuals, procedures, and related user documentation; ensure documentation is targeted to the appropriate audience.
- Present concepts in a concise and focused manner, including narrative, process diagrams, role and accountability diagrams and business-focused story boards.
- Able to express technical change in terms of the value it delivers to the end-user and the outcomes it has enabled that were not possible before.
- Meticulously attentive to detail and can organize large amounts of information in an easy-to-follow, logical way.
- A communications specialist and a diplomat, always aiming to clear communication channels among developers, end-users, and project managers.
Iteration Analysis, Planning and Support (50%)
- Provide daily updates to the Product Owner and Project Managers on status of completed work and milestones achieved in iteration; review blocked work; recommend changes in prioritization; and describe status of queued work in iteration backlog.
- Under direction of the Product Owner and Project Managers, decompose problems and new feature sets ('epics') into user and technical stories which can be picked up by the development team.
- Record user and technical stories from the developer team and end-users, map them using visual aids during scheduled analysis with developers and then transfer to JIRA.
- Review user and technical stories with end-users and developers, ensuring all stakeholders are aligned before the stories come into the iteration.
- Prepare iteration backlog(s) for bi-weekly Iteration Planning Meeting in conjunction with the Iteration Manager, Product Owner(s), Project Manager(s) and tech lead, ensuring the team's capacity will be fully utilized each iteration and that iteration milestones are clearly aligned with departmental strategy.
- Support and participate in kick-offs with developers for newly initiated user stories and tasks within each iteration
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or IT
- 3+ years of experience working as a Functional, Data or Business Analyst or Project Manager
- 3+ years’ experience in Access, Excel (Advanced), Visio, and MS Project
- 3+ years of customer interfacing experience – project oversight, customer presentation.
- Interviewing and listening skills to elicit detailed requirements
- Analytical skills for transforming defined business needs into software requirements
- Verbal and written communication skills, ability to create effective requirements documents and review them with key project stakeholders at multiple levels of the organization.
- Basic understanding of software design and development.
- Experience with any or all the following highly desirable: CRM, HRIS, intranet solutions (SharePoint), enterprise financial software TypeHQ
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: US Business Analyst before November, 24 2017. Any applications submitted without letter of interest/cover letter will not be considered.
Starting salary mid 50’s to low 60’s (commensurate with experience)
Desired Hiring Date
December 10, 2017
Working Time %