Type: Full-time; Exempt
Purpose of the Job:
Under the general direction of the Director of Foundations, the Development Officer for Foundations identifies, develops, manages, and grows strategic relationships with foundation donors. This includes developing proposals and funding relationships around priority MSF activities and initiatives, and coordinating closely with appropriate MSF personnel (within MSF-USA, MSF headquarters in Europe, and the field) to identify and secure appropriate funding.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Builds strategies for current and prospective donor cultivation and solicitation in collaboration with Director of Foundations and Foundations Team.
Under the guidance of the Director of Foundations, conducts prospect research to identify new prospects and deepen knowledge of current portfolio.
Manages existing foundation relationships, initiates new ones, and re-engages lapsed donors. Responsibilities include building appropriate strategies and creating the tools needed to initiate and cultivate these relationships including prospect research, and crafting opportunities for restricted and multi-year giving.
Manages a portfolio comprising 150+ foundation donors utilizing effective and appropriate stewardship techniques: phone calls, mailings (including various forms of written communication) and meetings, documenting all contacts and next steps with donors.
In coordination with members of the Foundations team, works with other departments: program, communications, finance, and MSF offices overseas, when appropriate, to garner materials and information needed for the development of proposals and reports to donors.
Relays accurate and appropriate information about our general mission and specific projects to donors in person, in writing, over the phone, and in person.
Initiates, prepares for, and participates in donor meetings. As appropriate, includes the Executive Director, Dev. team members, aid workers, and other key staff. Travels within the US for meetings.
Develops, revises, submits and processes proposals, end of year solicitations, renewal requests and reports including budget and financial reports for final review by Manager.
In coordination with F&C team, plans and implements special events for foundation donors.
Ensures that all routine foundation and corporation information requests are fulfilled.
Collaborates with corporate fundraising and major gift officers on areas of overlap such as corporate foundations, donor advised funds, events, and other areas of cultivation and solicitation as appropriate.
Responsible for staying abreast of MSF and international news and for building a general overall knowledge of the organization, including regularly reading general MSF publications and attending office presentations and meetings, in order to understand and explain MSF programs and financial information.
Contributes to the development of the Foundations annual plan, designed to meet priority funding needs and to effectively communicate about MSF field activities and advocacy efforts, and that meet the needs, objectives, and policies of MSF.
Works with Foundations Associate to represent Foundation needs to Fundraising Systems Team to continue to improve departmental systems to track donor information and history and maintain quality control.
Conducts routine data entry/review/analysis using donor database, keeping database current and accurate.
Contributes to documenting the business policies and procedures followed by the foundation team and maintaining them updated
- 5 years development experience, preferably in Foundations/Corporations, Major Gifts, or with Multilateral/Bilateral funders, plus Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ideally prospect research experience and knowledge of prospect research tools
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of international affairs and humanitarian issues.
- Experience in all aspects of donor cultivation (research, writing, follow-up, and stewardship)
- Proven skills in working productively with donors, foundation staff, and/or board members.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex and sensitive material and use it to develop proposals and reports, and to present appropriate, well-informed messages to donors.
- Ability to write a range of correspondence from formal business letters to warm thank you notes.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work under pressure and with deadlines.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Keen attention to detail with ability to track multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent judgment and diplomacy.
- Facility with spreadsheets, budgets and forecasting.
- Strong computer literacy, including ability to use Word , Excel and fundraising databases, and to conduct online research.
- Familiarity with and commitment to the work of MSF
- French skills preferred. Spanish a plus.
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, ATTN: Development Officer for Foundations before June 30th, 2017. Any applications submitted without letter of interest/cover letter will not be considered.
Salary - Low to High 70s (USD). Comprehensive benefits provided. Generous paid time off. A friendly, supportive environment with growth potential.
No calls please.