Type: Full-time; Exempt
WHO WE ARE: The Systems Department in the U.S. office of Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) acts like the organization's central nervous system, providing the vital information infrastructure to ensure the smooth functioning of all its operations. The Systems Department is responsible for building, configuring and maintaining the technical architecture, both physical and virtual, which ensures MSF can achieve the ambitions of its mission.
This position is a project-based opportunity to work under the umbrella of the overarching strategic initiative of the Systems Department: Making Systems Fundamentally Work (MSFW). The MSFW program of interrelated projects encompasses all strategic systems development which is required to deliver business value to the organization. Working within the MSFW program team requires above all agility, flexibility and a willingness to respond to the shifting priorities of a world-renowned emergency medical relief organization.
From a staffing perspective, the MSFW program has been designed to scale up rapidly depending on the changing needs of the organization. Similarly, it will scale down quickly if it fails to deliver value or if MSF-USA's funding situation dramatically changes. Contracts for project-based employment within the MSFW program are generally six months in length and include all standard benefits of MSF-USA full-time employment. Contracts are often renewed if the skills of the position are required for subsequent phases of MSFW activity, but no guarantees for future employment are made beyond the six-month intervals of the MSFW employment contracts.
MSF-USA is an extremely diverse group of people working together towards MSF's common mission. We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to their work at MSF-USA.
WHO YOU ARE: For this position it is most important that you are:
- Open-minded and willing to explore a wide range of options to solve problems
- Fluent in SharePoint
- Conversant with Microsoft technology security management frameworks
Purpose of the Job
The Solutions Engineer within the MSFW team provides general expertise in analyzing and solving a wide range of technical problems faced by the organization. The SE must move flexibly and fluently between project-based (planned) work and unpredictable, operational support to the team's Technical Leader.
The SharePoint Solutions Engineer will take responsibility for providing technical support for the SharePoint environment including assessment and implementation of new capabilities, and providing the leadership of the Systems Department and MSF with a long-term perspective on how to use SharePoint most effectively.
Under the guidance of the Technical Lead, the Solutions Engineer will support project planning with MSF's Microsoft implementation partner and its other strategic partners.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Intranet Administration (50%)
- Design and maintain all access control to the SharePoint site and any other platforms deployed in collaboration and document management
- Enhance the structure, user interface, and accessibility to improve document sharing and collaboration across the organization for the demonstrable benefit of the end-user
- Maintain and enhance the components, look, and feel of the parent site and sub-sites
- Implement workflows in SharePoint and/or other technologies to automate business processes (refund management, onboarding, etc.)
- Develop new sub-sites as requested by end-users
- Provide technical support to all intranet end-users in the organization
- Provide administration support services to all SharePoint sub-site "owners" across the organization
- Archive data as appropriate
General Support to Technical Leader (50%)
- Participates in Ops team analysis around new problems, support tickets and projects
- Resolves high-level help-desk tickets in coordination with Iteration Manager
- Takes responsibility for completing team tasks and stories within kanban operational model in coordination with Iteration Manager
- Participates in daily team stand-up meetings and regularly-scheduled team meetings such as retrospective and iteration planning
The Solutions Engineer does not supervise any permanent, full-time staff. S/he may be called upon to supervise temporary staff, volunteers, vendors, and/or consultants.
The Solutions Engineer does not have authority to make purchases on behalf of MSF but will play a critical role in recommending solution paths to department leadership that are cost-effective and impactful.
Extent of Public Contact
The Solutions Engineer will have frequent contact with people outside the organization, including vendors, consultants, volunteers, donor advisory boards and members of the general public.
This position requires remaining productive and focused within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of related experience;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience supporting a large, complex workload, requiring the coordination of multiple resources
- Experience evaluating challenging problems and developing creative solutions
- Experience working within a lean, Agile team or development framework
- Experience mentoring or training team members and sharing expertise within and across contracts, organization boundaries and with customers
- Experience supporting any public and/or private Cloud environment
- Experience administering Microsoft enterprise applications and services: Windows server and workstation operating systems, Microsoft Active Directory, ADFS, Azure ADS, Office 2016 and Office 365
- General knowledge of networking: TCP/IP, DNS, Load Balancing as well as the concepts of Availability, Scalability, and Maintainability. Understand firewalls, encryption and security zones
- Internet Information Server (IIS) and the basic operation of websites, Application Pools, IIS Administration, the IIS Metabase, Ports, SSL Certifications
- Microsoft SQL Server: Basic operation, tuning, transaction log selection, backup and recovery, and maintenance planning
- SharePoint: working knowledge of Central Administration, STSADM, and PowerShell administration modules
- Extensive knowledge of SharePoint design and development in SP Online, on premises SP Server, and hybrid environments
- SharePoint Event Log troubleshooting, search administration and troubleshooting, concepts of a SharePoint farm and other aspects of SharePoint topology, and the planning and implementation of Service Packs and Cumulative Updates
How to Apply
To apply, send cover letter and resume firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Solutions Engineer by October 24, 2016. Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed.
Starting salary low to high 80’s (commensurate with experience). Excellent benefits. A friendly, supportive environment with growth potential.