Type of position: Full time
- Purpose of the Job:
Under the supervision of the Finance Manager, this position will be responsible for accounts payable, accruals, deferrals, prepayments and disbursements function while building key relationships primarily with external constituents, ensuring compliance and driving department efficiencies leveraging technology. This position will audit invoices against purchase orders, research discrepancies, prepare payments for approval, process expense reports, coordinate proper authorization, mailing of checks, transmittal of electronic payments, and investigate problems that vendors or purchasing agents have with obtaining payment for bills.
- Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Accounts Payable/Cash Disbursement (80%)
Responsible for coordinating the operational functions of the unit, including invoice processing, travel and expense report audit and processing, financial disbursement, and exception resolution.
Improve efficiencies of purchase order and accounts payable processes; recommend and support implementation of technology upgrades and enhancements to existing systems and procedures.
Develop and maintain procedures and policies for the purchase order and accounts payable processes including analysis of key controls and reporting requirements, and maintain vendor records.
Maintain updated vendor record including W-9, electronic payment enrollment form and monitors contractual arrangements, where applicable.
Ensures Form 1099 reporting requirements are met and adhered to, including accurate recording of taxpayer ID, vendor name and address.
Ensures invoices are supported by appropriate documentation, approved by responsible manager, coded, data entered and processed for payment in a timely manner. Ensure that no duplicate payment is being processed. Communicate with vendors on status of invoice payments.
Review purchases and expenses presented for payment for compliance with relevant sections of financial code of conduct.
Reviews end of month balances comparing to general ledger for accuracy and monitors vendor reconciliation process. Ensures that inquiries and payment issues are responded to and resolved in a timely manner.
Monitor, analyze, propose resolution of long outstanding checks including applicable reporting requirement of New York State for dormant accounts.
Prepare and/or review applicable accounts payable reports and cash registers to ensure accuracy.
In coordination with all Finance Department personnel, ensures complete and accurate completion of monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual closings, meeting multiple accounting calendar deadlines.
Prepares domestic and international wire transfers including payments to vendors for review and release by the appropriate signatory.
Performs quality control/review and posting of A/P batches prepared by others, as needed.
Oversees the organization’s petty cash program.
Prepares and reviews audit work papers related to payables and disbursements. Point person on all accounts payable related areas for all audit, regulatory filings and other filing requirements, including responding to queries and providing copies of appropriate supporting documents.
Perform other related tasks as they develop.
Other Accounting Responsibilities (15%)
Enforce capitalization policy, maintain fixed asset register including calculation and recording of depreciation expense.
Prepare and maintain records for accruals, deferrals and prepayments during the course of the year.
Supports budget analysis through accurate and timely recording and reclassifying of actual expenses, as requested by budget managers. Acts as primary contact for budget follow up and reporting.
Perform back-up functions within the finance department when situations necessitate, including but not limited to staff absences and/or time off, reorganization and reassignment.
Other duties, including but not limited to general office support including copying, filing, scanning and mailing, as assigned.
Departmental Administration (5%)
Participates in planning and implementation of MSF-USA’s finance department strategies, policies and procedures.
Participates in departmental meetings to share information, brainstorm solutions, and coordinate priorities.
Evaluates areas of efficiency and improvement. Makes recommendations to improve financial and accounting operations. Implement best practices.
Attends regularly scheduled HQ staff meetings, program updates and several annual office-wide debates to participate in information sharing across all departments, and stay informed on important MSF topics.
- Supervisory Responsibilities:
Supervises the work of one assistant who carries out varied finance, accounting, bookkeeping and administrative duties (see corresponding job description). Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, directing work and appraising performance.
- Fiscal Responsibility
Contributes substantially to accuracy of all expense reporting and associated banking transactions.
Responsible for accuracy of coding, proper authorization, and compliance with fiscal procedures and rules.
Oversees the petty cash program.
Has access to all financial data of MSF USA through use of accounting software.
Responsible for all cash disbursements.
- Extent of Public Contact
Primary Finance Department contact with vendors.
Works regularly with vendors to resolve billing issues, opening up/closing out accounts and other matters as required.
Primary contact for all departments regards to Accounts Payable processes/transactions.
- Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
In addition the duties require some lifting boxes of files for storage.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular attendance 5 days/week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required.
- BS/BA or degree in Accounting or related business field or Associate degree with a minimum of 3-4 years recent experience in procurement, payables and disbursements
- In depth knowledge and use of basic accounting principles, practices, and procedures
- High level of proficiency with financial systems (e.g. Abila MIP, Intact, Financial Force) as well as systems/solutions interface (e.g. ROI, Salesforce, ExpenseWatch, ADP’s Workforce Now)
- Excellent technological skills with emphasis on Microsoft Office
- Knowledge and experience with Form 1099 process and regulations
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting and tracking expenses against budget
- Exceptional problem solving skills with acute attention to detail and ability to meet tight deadlines and goals while handling multiple projects
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural, diverse and high performance driven environment
- Ability to professionally communicate both internally and externally with both financial and non-financial individuals at all levels of an organization, including senior leadership. Excellent judgment and diplomacy
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a team environment
- Exceptional initiative, volunteer readily, adapt to changes in the work environment and undertakes self-development activities
- Ability to handle a large volume of work under pressure and meets deadlines, without sacrificing completeness and accuracy
- Exceptional time management, organizational skills and management of competing demands
- Consistently at work and on time
- Adept in office business practices including proper use of e-mail, calendars, meeting scheduler and other forms of correspondence
Experience in US not-for-profit sector
Experience in supporting implementation of finance systems upgrade
To apply, send cover letter and resume in ONE file & name the file with your last name to: firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Finance Associate
Expected Position Start Date: February 14, 2016
Salary – mid to high 50’s. Comprehensive benefits and relocation support provided. Generous paid time off. A friendly, supportive environment with growth potential.
Please note that applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.