The Communications Department is responsible for developing a coherent voice and delivering clear public messages to inform both US and international audiences of MSF, its field activities and the humanitarian principles that underpin them; to raise awareness about the plight of the populations we serve; to promote public communication aimed at exposing and describing the field reality, including dilemmas and challenges; and to garner public understanding for our advocacy messages related to field operational concerns and the Access Campaign, via the media, print and digital channels , public awareness and advocacy campaigns, conferences, etc.
In collaboration with the Exhibition Manager, the External Relations Manager of the Forced From Home travelling exhibition manages the development of, and is responsible for implementation of, outreach, and internal and external messaging of MSF-USA’s Forced From Home exhibition, by performing the following duties:
I. Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
To oversee the management of finance; human resources; travel & accommodation; outreach & volunteer management to deliver the Forced from Home exhibition.
Strategic Communications (40%)
· To proactively reach target audiences and increase visibility on the Forced from Home traveling exhibition and related events
· Plan coordinated outreach on off-months of exhibition’s 2018 tour through various communications channels, including digital communications, corporate partnerships, and community outreach
· Activate and manage external outreach onsite Forced From Home’s 2018 tour
· Collaborate with Exhibition Manager and Steering Committee on city selection for 2018 tour to identify appropriate markets to bring the exhibition
· Create external materials for exhibition and serve as primary copyeditor on all related materials, including: collateral, Forced From Home website and relevant pages on Doctors Without Borders site, outreach emails/invitations, and education brochures and toolkit
· Develop and track communications metrics to measure success of Forced From Home 2018 by working with Marketing team to collect data
· Act as liaison between city officials, community groups, universities, corporate groups, and other target audiences and MSF staff to promote Forced From Home locally
· Oversee the Media Coordinators external messaging, and collaborate to address any changes
· Coordinates internal MSF-USA departments in their support of the Forced From Home activity (e.g. marketing, corporate relations, the Association, etc…)
Community Outreach (25%)
· Manage development of stakeholder and local influencer lists relevant to Forced From Home, and activate lists/oversee outreach
· Primary point of contact for city officials, local NGOs, universities, corporate groups, and other target audiences, and meets with groups to promote Forced From Home at local events, teleconference calls, and one-on-one meetings
· Assists Events Associate, Social Media Manager, and Media Coordinator in identifying and doing introductions with local influencers for panel discussions, related side events, press appearances, etc.
· Assists Volunteer Coordinator in volunteer outreach planning
Digital Communications & Content Creation (25%)
· Primary point of contact to maintain Forced from Home website and related pages on the Doctors Without Borders website
· Develop and implement social media calendar in conjunction with the Social Media Manager, for advance promotion of the event and on-site, including Facebook Live tours of the exhibit
· Develop and implement editorial calendar in conjunction with editorial team, for advance promotion of the event and on-site
· Work with editorial and press teams to draft and distribute blog posts by MSF field staff to promote mission of Forced from Home
· Identify opportunities to align existing MSF content with Forced from Home
Administrative & Management (10%)
· Attends regularly scheduled departmental meetings to share information and brainstorm solutions
· Manage the Media Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator in their tasks
· Maintains budget for related tasks
· Writes up report on learnings after 2018 tour wraps
II. Supervisory Responsibilities:
Manages team of two paid staff for implementation of Forced from Home. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Extent of Public Contact
Regularly represents MSF to external contacts, including city officials, universities, local NGOs, and corporate groups regarding complex and/or sensitive subjects. Within the MSF movement, interacts with all levels of staff and field volunteers to develop, plan and coordinate messages and strategize external outreach approach, as well as to stay abreast of MSF issues and to research topics.
III. Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within the context of a moderately noisy office or tent with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
For the physical components of the job, the employee must attest to physical fitness to endure physically difficult, high stress situations which may include the necessity to walk long distances, carry a backpack or other equipment of up to 75 pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
IV. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require both office work and event operation work, both of which operate on unique schedules.
Office work, which will extend from approximately January through August and resume in December, will regular attendance 5 days/week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required.
Event Operation work, which will extend from approximately August through November, will require attendance 6 days/week for an average of between 60 and 70 hours per week. Daily hours are approximately 7:30am to 6:30pm and may extend in the evening to help on special events, as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic business travel.
Must be willing to be based, housed, and work in exhibition cities for the months of August, September, October, and November 2018.
· Minimum 5 years of major event or related work experience plus Bachelor's degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills.
· Ability to meet deadlines and support implementation of high quality events.
· Ability to work independently, move projects from conceptual stages to launch, and handle multiple and often competing deadlines.
· Aptitude for objective and subjective evaluation of projects, and proposing improvements an ongoing basis.
· Must have strong project management skills.
· Strong computer literacy, particularly in Excel, database software, using the internet for research purposes, and PowerPoint.
· Proven ability to handle and prioritize a large volume of work.
· Proven time management and organizational skills; keen attention to detail with ability to prioritize and track multiple projects at one time.
· Genuine interest in, and commitment to, the humanitarian principles of MSF. Field experience considered a strong plus.
· Ability to travel domestically, as needed.
· Available for event staffing, as needed, on evenings and weekends.
· Knowledge and interest of international affairs and/or activist background
· Demonstrated knowledge of MSF field activities
Open ended Contract
Mid 70s to low 80s (salary commiserate with experience)
Desired Hiring Date
20, February 2018
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with subject line “External Exhibition Manager - Forced from Home.”
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: February 2, 2018.