Type: Full-time; Exempt
Supervises: Direct Reports: Fundraising Systems Manager, Senior Analyst
Indirect: 2 Fundraising Systems Associates, 1 Fundraising Systems Assistant, 1 Marketing Analyst, 2 Temporary positions, plus an active pool of Volunteers, Work Study students and/or Interns
The Director of Development Systems is a member of the Development Managers platform and plays a critical role in MSF-USA’s ability to operate an extremely diverse, complex and fast-paced fundraising program. The Development Systems team serves the entire Development department, acting like a central nervous system supporting all fundraising operations, from massive multi-step omni-channel marketing campaigns to supporting the growth of high-touch relationships with major donors, foundations and corporations.
Under the general direction of the Director of MSF-USA’s fundraising department, the Director of Development Systems leads a collaborative process of assessing, planning and implementing changes to fundraising systems along with continuously optimizing and improving existing processes and routines within the department. Systems planning and maintenance must meet the strategic and practical needs of all units of Development and provide the required financial and data-quality controls and reporting mechanisms for end-users and decision-makers.
The Director of Development Systems must guide continuous systems improvement along all available avenues, including but not limited to:
- developing and improving technological systems to support dynamic and diverse fundraising campaigns across all business units, meanwhile tracking all donor activity and history so that interaction and transaction data are available in a variety of formats to support decision making
- providing new ways to synthesize, review and visualize data
- restructuring and recalibrating work routines and job responsibilities across the team to handle sudden spikes in donation, call and mail volume, along with changing needs across the department
- managing and constantly improving data quality routines managed by staff and vendors
- pushing vendors to maximize service to MSF and its donors while keeping costs under control
- conducting extensive vendor search and selection projects which result in lasting relationships between MSF and its market-leading business partners.
The Director of Development Systems must also ensure all staff and vendors dedicated to fundraising systems and analytics are operating efficiently and effectively. S/he is responsible for implementing and improving mechanisms which result in continuous quality improvement of donor data and sustained increases in systems efficiency.
The Director of Development Systems must work seamlessly with the Marketing Director to ensure the data management and reportability of all marketing campaigns is timely and quality-controlled. S/he must also ensure the Donor Service team and MSF’s outsourced call centers have access to all the data and systems they need to provide maximum support and service to MSF’s donors.
The Director of Development Systems will work closely with the Director of Systems at MSF-USA who will coordinate all comprehensive technological changes made to critical business applications across the office. The Director of Development Systems directly manages both a Fundraising Systems Manager and a Senior Analyst who in turn supervise their own staff. S/he ensures information sharing from both groups to enhance practices across the board.
- Minimum 6-8 years directly relevant work experience required, plus a Bachelor’s degree in business or related area, or equivalent combination of training and experience, including:
- Min. 5 yrs. systems/technical management in a Development department.
- Min. 3 yrs. experience with a donor database with over 500,000 active records.
- Min. 3 yrs. experience with business process reengineering in a Development dept.
- Min. 3 yrs project management; vendor management including contract negotiation, and demonstrated ability to bring complex projects in on-time and on-budget.
- High level knowledge of fundraising databases, workflows, documentation, data integrity, quality control, financial controls and audits.
- Demonstrated understanding of goals of various branches of Development Demonstrated ability to clearly document complex technical and business processes.
- Knowledge of and experience with continuous quality improvement strategies and methods.
- Knowledge of PII security and privacy compliance
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency using MS Office and extensive knowledge of Excel and fundraising database management. SQL experience a plus.
- Experience managing complex vendor relationships and maximizing productivity of outside vendors and consultants
- Organized, detail-oriented, creative, problem-solving, strong analytical skills, strong written and oral communication, high energy, fast paced, deal with pressure and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, move projects from conceptual stages to launch, and handle multiple and often competing deadlines.
- Strong manager; facilitator; integrator, with min. 3 years staff management experience.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex information and use it to develop and coordinate systems that improve efficiency.
- Ability to write routine business correspondence.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent judgment and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated interest in the work of MSF strongly preferred.
- Residence in or willingness to relocate to NYC metro area.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: Employment.email@example.com, Subject: Director of Development Systems. Submissions without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Mid $90’s – low 100‘s, salary commensurate with experience. Great benefits. A friendly, supportive environment with growth potential. Application Deadline: July 31st, 2016