Types of Commitment
Some field workers commit to MSF for a single mission only, but many enjoy the flexibility of being able to undertake missions during different periods in their careers as personal circumstances permit. Others may determine that working with MSF is a way of life suited to their values and career aspirations over the long term. MSF offers a vast array of long term career options with increasing responsibility, scope and complexity over time and the opportunity to have an impact on the strategic direction of the organization at the management level.
Learning and Development
MSF is committed to the ongoing professional development of its field workers. It provides them with access to various types of training that build the skills and knowledge required to be effective in the field. This ensures that MSF as an organization can respond to the most urgent and critical needs of the people it helps around the globe, people who often require scarce and highly specialized types of expertise from medical and support professionals. Training programs can range from language training, to sophisticated medical treatments and protocols, to management and leadership best practices, and a host of other possibilities relevant to the professional background and career aspirations of each individual.
Salary and Benefits
MSF salaries are set so as to reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism while recognizing the high level of professional expertise provided by field staff. Starting gross monthly salary is approximately $1,731, with subsequent increases based on expertise and experience. Americans working in the field with MSF receive a US letter agreement in which all required taxes and contributions are deducted.
- Pre-departure training through a combination of readings, e-learning and face-to-face modules and presentations
- Reimbursement of mission specific vaccinations
- Required visas and work permits
- Paid vacation (25 days per year)
- Accommodation and transportation in New York City and Europe for briefings and debriefings
- Daily per diem in local currency paid while in the field
- Accommodation in the field
- Round-trip transportation to the field
- Medical, disability and life insurance coverage
- Medical evacuation coverage
- Letter of support for student loan deferment
- Payment of interest on student loans after first field assignment and for six months thereafter
- Psychological support before and after mission
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
- Confidential peer support network
Be part of MSF
Our supporters, donors and fundraisers are a vital part of the MSF movement.
Find out how you can support MSF's lifesaving work.