Operating Room (OR) nurses often work in conflict settings with surgical teams providing care to communities without access to functioning health care systems. Surgical cases include general, trauma, obstetrics, orthopedic, burn and reconstruction, working with all ages. The OR nurse will also organize and supervise the care of patients from the OR into recovery as well as all the post-operative activities.
Basic diagnostic equipment and facilities needed to run an operating room will be limited: there may not even be an X-ray machine. MSF may ask OR nurses to depart on very short notice to meet the needs of emergencies that require their skills.
- Must meet general requirements
- Minimum commitment of 9 to 12 months
- Appropriate diploma, degree (RN or NP), and current license
- At least 2 years of experience working in an OR
- Current or recent practical experience
(i.e. at least 6 months of clinical practice within the last 2 years)
- Ability to work with limited resources
- General knowledge of all OR duties and therefore able to be a manager and trainer in the OR
- Experience in general surgery, obstetrics, orthopedics, and/or trauma
- Experience as an OR nurse manager/charge nurse
- Wound care management
- Post operative and recovery care