Operating Room (OR) nurses often work with emergency teams to treat people wounded in conflict zones or they join teams that are providing longer-term surgical care to communities without access to functioning health care systems.
Basic diagnostic equipment and facilities needed to run an operating room will be limited: there may not even be an X-ray machine. MSF may ask OR nurses to depart on very short notice to meet the needs of emergencies that require their skills.
- Must meet general requirements
- Minimum commitment of 9 to 12 months
- Appropriate diploma, degree (RN or NP), and current license
- At least 2 years of experience working in an OR
- Current or recent practical experience
(i.e. at least 6 months of clinical practice within the last 2 years)
- Ability to work with limited technical resources
- General knowledge of all OR duties and therefore able to be a manager and trainer in the OR
- Experience in general surgery, obstetrics, orthopedics, and/or trauma
- Experience as an OR nurse manager/charge nurse