Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters, and exclusion from health care in more than 60 countries. When medical assistance is not enough to save lives, MSF will speak out against abuses its teams witness while providing medical relief.
Under the general direction of the Senior Development Officer for F&C Relations, the Development Officer for Foundations identifies, develops, manages, and grows strategic relationships with foundation donors. This includes developing proposals and funding relationships around priority MSF activities and initiatives, and coordinating closely with appropriate MSF personnel (within MSF-USA, MSF headquarters in Europe, and the field) to identify and secure appropriate funding.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Builds strategies for current and prospective donor cultivation and solicitation in collaboration with Sr. Development Officer and Foundations and Corporate Relations team.
Manages existing foundation relationships, initiates new ones, and re-engages lapsed donors. Responsibilities include building appropriate strategies and creating the tools needed to initiate and cultivate these relationships including crafting opportunities for restricted, multi-year, and endowment giving.
Manages a portfolio comprising roughly 50% of foundation donors (approximately 200) utilizing effective and appropriate stewardship techniques: phone calls, mailings (including various forms of written communication) and meetings, documenting all contacts and next steps with donors.
Works with other departments: program, communications, finance, and the operational centers and missions, when appropriate, to garner materials and information needed for the development of proposals and reports to donors.
Relays accurate and appropriate information about our general mission and specific projects to donors in person, in writing, over the phone, and in person.
Initiates and participates in donor meetings and, as appropriate, includes the Executive Director, Other Dev. team members, MSF aid workers, and other key staff.
Develops, revises, submits and processes proposals, end of year solicitations, renewal requests and reports including budget and financial reports for final review by Manager.
Collaborates with corporate fundraising officers on areas of overlap as appropriate.
In coordination with F&C team, plans and implements special events for foundation donors.
Ensures that all routine foundation and corporation information requests are fulfilled.
Responsible for staying abreast of MSF and international news and for building a general overall knowledge of the organization, including regularly reading general MSF publications and attending office presentations and meetings, in order to understand and explain MSF programs and financial information.
Contributes to the development of the Foundations annual plan, designed to meet priority funding needs and to effectively communicate about MSF field activities and advocacy efforts, and that meet the needs, objectives, and policies of MSF.
Works with Systems and Prospect Mgr and F&C Associate to represent F&C needs to Operations to continue to improve departmental systems to track donor information and history and maintain quality control.
Conducts routine data entry/review/analysis using donor database, keeping database current and accurate.
Contributes to documenting the business policies and procedures followed by the foundation team and maintaining them updated
- Min. 4 yrs. Development experience, preferably in foundations/corporations, Major Gifts, or with multilateral/bilateral funders, plus Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of international affairs and humanitarian issues.
- Experience in all aspects of donor cultivation (research, writing, follow-up, and stewardship)
- Proven skills in working productively with donors, foundation staff, and/or board members.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex and sensitive material and use it to develop proposals and reports, and to present appropriate, well-informed messages to donors.
- Ability to write a range of correspondence from formal business letters to warm thank you notes.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work under pressure and with deadlines.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Keen attention to detail with ability to track multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent judgment and diplomacy.
- Facility with spreadsheets, budgets and forecasting.
- Strong computer literacy, including ability to use word processing, spreadsheet and database software, and to search the internet for research purposes.
- Familiarity with and commitment to the work of MSF
- French skills preferred. Spanish a plus.
Starting salary high 60s to low 70s, commensurate with experience; excellent benefits.
To apply, send letter of interest and CV to: Employment.email@example.com, Attn: Development Officer.
No calls please.