Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care in over 70 countries to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Program Department at MSF-USA consists of several units including advocacy, diplomacy, and research arms of both MSF-USA and the international offices of MSF. The data collections relevant to this job role are under the auspices of the organization’s medical leadership and are managed at MSF-USA in collaboration with MSF-Belgium.
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières USA is seeking a freelancer for 8 hours/week, to work with the Scientific Editorial Director at MSF-USA on maintaining two MSF institutional repositories of peer-reviewed journal articles and supporting a transition into a new repository.
- Reviewing email alerts from PubMed and other sources, to identify articles co-authored by MSF-USA staff (typically 2-10 articles per week);
- Extracting relevant meta-data from these articles;
- Entering articles and metadata into two separate databases, carefully following established procedures and formats;
- Preparing a bibliography of the week’s new papers, for inclusion in a weekly newsletter and circulation to a mailing list;
- Supporting data cleaning activities;
- (Occasional) analyses of MSF publication metrics.
At least 3 hours should be on Monday (day or evening), with the remaining hours flexible as per agreement between freelancer and supervisor. Work can be done remotely or in MSF-USA office, or a combination, and will require regular check-in with supervisor.
This work is ideal for a freelancer, graduate or advanced undergraduate student with demonstrated interest in global health/epidemiology and/or medical library science. Required skills include:
- Experience reading journal articles on global health themes;
- High level of proficiency with PubMed, Google Scholar, and medical literature searches;
- Good understanding of scientific/medical publication practices, including open access publication;
- High level of proficiency with MS Excel, Word and (ideally) Access
Part Time Non-Exempt
Fixed Term Contact
Salary: $20.00 - $25.00 per hour (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
8 hours per week
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
ATTN: Biomedical Literature Data Entry (Freelance work) position. Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: October 3rd, 2019