Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) anesthesia providers often work in conflict settings to provide care to communities without access to functioning health care systems. Surgical cases include: general, trauma, obstetrics, orthopedic, pediatrics, burn and reconstruction, working with all ages.
Basic diagnostic equipment and facilities needed to run an operating room will be limited: there may not even be an X-ray machine. Responsibilities include providing anesthesia, pain management, teaching and supervising of local staff, reporting, and at times assisting the ICU.
MSF asks anesthesiologists to depart on very short notice to meet the needs of emergencies that require their skills. Because of the emergency nature of the missions, MSF offers anesthesiologists the option of shorter-than-usual assignments (8 to 12 weeks or more).
Click here to see a generic job description and potential career path with MSF.
- Compliance with Essential Requirements for all potential candidates
- Commitment to work in the field for a minimum of 8 to 12 week assignments
- Certified anesthesiologist with active license
- Previous experience in a low resource setting (priority given to those with experience working in a humanitarian context)
- Minimum of two years relevant professional experience post training
- At least 6 months of practical experience within the last two years
- Experience in paediatrics, obstetrics, and trauma anesthesia
- Ability to work autonomously with limited materials and resources
- French or Arabic language (B2 or above)
- Availability to leave on short notice for field assignments
- Medical experience in pre- and post-operative care, pain management, and/or in intensive/critical care
- Pediatric specialty
- Willingness to assist with operating room organization
PLEASE NOTE due to limited needs, MSF USA is NOT currently accepting applications for Anesthesiologist and CRNA positions. Please continue to check our website for updates. If you would like to be notified when recruitment resumes for these profiles, please fill out this form.