Operating Room (OR) nurses often work in conflict settings with surgical teams providing care to communities without access to functioning health care systems. Surgical cases include general, trauma, obstetrics, orthopedic, burn and reconstruction, working with all ages. The OR nurse will also organize and supervise the care of patients from the OR into recovery as well as all the post-operative activities.
Basic diagnostic equipment and facilities needed to run an operating room will be limited: there may not even be an X-ray machine. Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) may ask OR nurses to depart on very short notice to meet the needs of emergencies that require their skills.
- Compliance with Essential Requirements for all potential candidates
- Commitment to work in the field for a minimum of 9 to 12 month assignments
- Appropriate diploma, degree (RN (BSN / ASN) or NP), and current valid license
- Previous experience in a low resource setting (priority given to those with experience working in a humanitarian context)
- Minimum of three years relevant professional experience with general surgery, trauma, orthopedics, and/or obstetrics
- At least 6 months of practical experience within the last two years
- Professional experience supervising, managing or training staff
- General knowledge of all OR duties (must be able to train staff and manager the OR)
- French or Arabic language (B2 or above)
- Experience as an OR nurse manager
- Experience with wound care management
- Medical experience in pre- and post-operative care, pain management, and/or in intensive/critical care
due to limited needs, MSF USA is not accepting applications for this role at this time. However, if you would like to be considered for one of these roles as new needs arise in the future, please share your information with us via the Express Your Interest Form below. If openings become available for a profile that matches your skills or the online application reopens for your profile, our recruitment team will contact you with information regarding the next steps.