Join the movement
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) surgeons work predominately in conflict settings providing care to communities without access to functioning health care systems. Surgical cases include general, trauma, obstetrics, pediatrics, burn and reconstruction, working with all ages.
Basic diagnostic equipment and facilities needed to run an operating room will be limited: there may not even be an X-ray machine. Responsibilities include general surgery, surgical-needs assessment, and training of local staff.
Please note that we are not currently recruiting Orthopedic Surgeons or Vascular Surgeons. We are actively recruiting General Surgeons, Trauma Surgeons, Pediatric Surgeons and Plastic / Reconstructive Surgeons with a particular emphasis on French speakers and longer availability (6+ weeks).
- Compliance with Essential Requirements for all potential candidates
- Minimum commitment to work in the field for 6 to 8 weeks
- M.D. or D.O. and current valid license
- Relevant field experience in a developing country or humanitarian context
- Minimum of two years relevant professional experience post residency
- At least 6 months of clinical practice within the last two years
- General surgeons require significant experience performing cesarean sections within the past two years
- Ability to work autonomously with limited materials and resources
- Experience in at least one of the following areas:
- General / Trauma surgery
- Pediatric surgery
- Plastic / Reconstructive surgery
- French or Arabic language (B2 or above)
- Willingness to help with operating room organization
- Experience with surgery in a war or conflict setting