Director of Systems
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
As a member of the international network of MSF, the US office, also known as MSF-USA, contributes significant financial resources to MSF field operations.
The Systems Department in the U.S. office of Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) acts like the organization's central nervous system, providing the vital information infrastructure to ensure the smooth functioning of all its operations. The Systems Department is responsible for building, configuring and maintaining the technical architecture, both physical and virtual, which ensures MSF can achieve the ambitions of its mission.
MSF-USA is currently seeking a Director of Systems to support MSF in carrying out its mission in an effective, efficient, ethical and accountable manner by overseeing the development and use of information technology (IT) in the organization. As the Director of the Systems Department, s/he is responsible for the successful execution of significant IT projects and for strategic and tactical planning, development, evaluation and coordination of the information systems at MSF- USA.
Reporting to the Director of Internal Operations, the Director of Systems is a member of MSF-USA’s extended management team, participating in developing collective decisions, setting priorities and making recommendations to the Board of Directors. The Director of Systems works in partnership with the directors of each department to ensure that all systems necessary to support the organization’s operations and objectives are in place.
- Set objectives and strategies for the Systems Department
- Oversee the implementation of suitable technology to streamline all internal operations and help optimize the strategic benefits of technology investments
- Direct, organize, monitor and evaluate the information systems portfolio
- Maintain the established Systems Development Lifecycle of the organization, ensuring that changes to production systems are authorized, documented, and tested
- Oversee the technological infrastructure (networks and computer systems) in the organization and its Business Continuity Planning
- Enable the continued evolution of the information security program to ensure vital IT and data assets are classified and protected
- Monitor changes or advancements in technology to discover ways MSF-USA’s public-facing and internal operations can become more efficient and effective
- Guarantee an efficient level of technical support and training to MSF USA staff, the Board of Directors, Association members and other authorized users, in order to achieve an optimal level of system use and adoption
- Identify, propose and implement best practices and shared project management methodologies within a scalable Agile framework for IT delivery
- Contribute to knowledge consolidation (overall and specifically in the areas of responsibility of the position) in order to ensure transfer and retention of knowledge
- Define, monitor, control and review the IS policies, processes, procedures and standards
- Ensure IT investments lead to measurable, demonstrable benefits to the organization
- Align portfolio, process and policy development with the different stakeholders within the MSF International Movement aiming at resources mutualization and establishment of best practices
- Represent MSF-USA and the Systems Department in audits and compliance reviews for IT security, financial and fundraising system administration, the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) and the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Participates in developing and carrying out organization-wide goals and objectives, formulating and administering organizational policies, and in making decisions with an organization-wide impact as a member of the MSF-USA Extended Management Team
- Defines the activities, resources (both human and financial) needed to accomplish the department objectives
- Actively participates in group and international coordination and strategic planning with colleagues from other MSF sections
- Appoints, manages, evaluates and motivates a team of over twelve (12) professional-level staff plus assistants, volunteers, interns and special project staff
- Delegates authority consults with and guides staff to achieve goals. Provides ongoing feedback in a context of mutual respect
- A degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration or related field and at least 8 years in management role, or equivalent education and experience. Masters preferred
- Extensive experience with Agile and/or Lean Project Management; experience with Kanban and Scrum methodologies highly preferred
- Extensive staff management experience with ability to provide leadership, innovation, motivation and constructive performance reviews to staff, securing their respective commitments to the organization’s goals
- Demonstrated ability to communicate business value of Information Systems projects and to conceptualize and articulate Information Systems directions and choices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills demonstrated in previous roles that required communication with a broad and diverse set of partners
- Ability to effectively present information in ways that are visually appealing and easy to understand; ability to respond to common inquiries from the Board of Directors, auditors, regulatory agencies, members of MSF and the NGO community, top management, staff, and the general public
- Demonstrated success in roles requiring analytic, systematic thinking while managing multiple priorities. Ability to anticipate and resolve problems in a timely manner by gathering and analyzing information skillfully
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and build work relationship with peers, especially in a management setting
- Extensive experience in the configuration and deployment of SAAS CRM, ERP and HRIS platform technologies
- Demonstrated knowledge of US non-profit sector
- Knowledge and experience in evolving an IT organization towards compliance with PCI-DSS, GDPR, HIPAA and other information security and data privacy regulations
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF, and its commitment to transparency to its donors and employees
- Ability to travel (approx. 10%) several times a year to Europe for network meetings
- Residence in or relocation to the New York City area
Full Time Exempt
Open ended Contract
Starting salary 115K to 120K (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
To Be Determined
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
ATTN: “Director of Systems” position. Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Please note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.