We are Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF). We help people worldwide where the need is greatest, delivering emergency medical aid to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care. MSF-USA is an extremely diverse group of people working together towards MSF's common mission. We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to their work at MSF-USA.
The Systems Department in the U.S. office of Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) acts like the organization's central nervous system, providing the vital information infrastructure to ensure the smooth functioning of all its operations. The Systems Department is responsible for building, configuring and maintaining the technical architecture, both physical and virtual, which ensures MSF can achieve the ambitions of its mission.
The Systems Associate reports directly to the Senior Business Analyst on the Systems team and oversees the operations of the MSF-USA Help Desk to provide excellent customer service and support to over to over 200 on-site and remote end-users at MSF-USA. In addition, this role is responsible for supporting the operations of the Systems department.
The Systems Associate acts as the focal point on the Systems team for creating and sending communication to all staff and stakeholders regarding updates and change in IT services that will affect them. In supervising the Help Desk Assistant and the Systems Department interns, the Systems Associate ensures timely technical assistance and training to MSF-USA staff, volunteers, and interns. S/he investigates and secures resolution of software and hardware problems for MSF-USA staff.
S/he also supports the Systems team in guaranteeing workstream deliverables, creation and development of ongoing improvement processes to increase efficiency. S/he also maintains high quality customer service standards of the department.
Who you are
For this position it is important that you are:
- A communications specialist, diplomat, and collaborator as much of the daily duties revolve around interaction with different staff members
- A problem solver who can de-escalate stressful situations
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to multitask and keep asset inventories complete and updated
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Help Desk Management and End-User Support (70%)
- Oversees staffing of MSF-USA Help Desk to ensure 100% coverage during business hours and in accordance with any service level agreements set by Systems Department leadership.
- Maintains the tracking and inventory of Systems-related assets, including laptops and mobile devices that are loaned to staff on a temporary basis.
- Ensures the deployment of computing equipment to staff is quality-controlled and configuration/accessorizing is complete.
- Ensures events during and outside normal business hours which need IT and/or AV support from the Systems team have been assigned the appropriate staffing.
- Serves as an ambassador for the Systems Department and liaison between end users and the Help Desk.
- Provides ongoing training, guidance, and support to the A/V Associate, Help Desk Assistant and Systems Department interns to ensure level 1 and 2 help desk tickets are handled in accordance with Systems Department standards of service.
- Manages and maintains Service Level Agreements (SLA) and creating Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for Help Desk and other areas as requested by Systems Dept. leadership.
- Answers, evaluates, and prioritizes incoming telephone, voicemail, email, and in-person requests for assistance from end-users experiencing problems with all technologies (hardware, software, and telephony) officially supported by the MSF-USA Systems Department.
- Interviews end-users to collect information about problems and assigns Level 1 and 2 help desk tickets to help desk staff; escalates more complex problems (Level 3) to Iteration Manager so they can be addressed by Systems team engineers.
- Logs and tracks end-user requests using Zendesk ticket management system; maintains comprehensive records by tracking and creating metrics of end-user interactions and documents learning in Systems Department knowledgebase.
- Provides frequent updates to end-users on case resolution status using all appropriate means including email, phone, and in-person communication.
- Prepares standard statistical reports on Help Desk activities, such as help desk incident overview, speed to case resolution, and categorization of end-user requests; makes recommendations to Supervisor and Director of Systems for improved Help Desk reporting.
- Adheres to department procedures and policies with primary focus on best practices for information security and data protection.
Department Operations Support (30%)
- Responsible for department invoice processing and budget reporting including delegation of associated tasks and responsibilities to the Help Desk Assistant.
- Manages communications for the department.
- Supports Project Managers and Iteration Manager as required to ensure the delivery of Systems department goals and objectives.
- Coordinates and manages end-user training and the preparation of training materials such as presentations, videos, and hand-outs for applications supported by the Systems Department, including Office 365, MSF-USA telephony, and other collaboration technologies used for virtual meetings.
- Ongoing evaluation of processes to identify improvements in efficiency and efficacy.
- Implementation of new procedures related to business continuity, disaster recovery, and information security.
- Evaluation, selection, and implementation of new hardware and software.
- Coordinates event organization and catering for the department with the support of the Help Desk Assistant.
Special Projects (10%)
As assigned by Supervisor and Director of Systems, participates in various Systems Department projects and initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Vendor and/or software evaluation, selection, and implementation.
- Process improvement (Agile transformation, use of lean methodologies, etc.).
- Carbon footprint reduction.
- Other projects which are aligned with individual skill sets, work experience, and special interests.
The Systems Associate directly supervises the Help Desk Assistant and is responsible for hiring and supervising seasonal interns for the Systems Department. Supervises volunteers and temporary staff as needed.
Extent of Public Contact
The Systems Associate will have frequent contact with people outside the organization, including vendors, consultants, volunteers, donor advisory boards and members of the general public.
This position requires remaining productive and focused within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3+ years directly-related experience
- 2+ years of managing a team dedicated to customer service
- Strong knowledge of Office 365 and Zendesk
- Ability to gather and analyze information skillfully and to develop alternative solutions
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of staff and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to prepare logical and easy-to-use training materials
- Ability to provide leadership and coaching to team members
- Documented training in customer service
- Experience in NGO and private sector
- Experience in using Zendesk and the Jira work management tool
- Customer Service certification
Full Time Non-Exempt
Open Ended Contract
Starting salary high 50s to low 60s (commensurate with experience)
Desired Hiring Date
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: “Systems Associate”
No phone calls and emails please. Applications without cover letter will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position. No calls please.