Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The MSF-USA Systems Department acts like the organization's central nervous system, providing the vital information infrastructure to ensure the smooth functioning of all its operations. The Systems Department is responsible for building, configuring and maintaining the technical architecture, both physical and virtual, which ensures MSF can achieve the ambitions of its mission.
MSF-USA is seeking an experienced Data Analyst to work closely with all the Systems Department and provide expertise and support on data analysis and fulfilling data requests, with the focus on efficient ETL (extraction, transformation and loading) data between a growing complexity of systems.
We seek a fast learner who enjoys collaboration and teamwork. He/she/they will be goal oriented and focused on completing requests based on approved priorities and timelines. The successful candidate will also be able to train and provide backup support to other staff responsible for data extraction and working closely with the other Data Analysts in the fundraising department.
The Data Analyst will be a team player able to communicate effectively with internal and external partners to support growing data management demands, respond to ad-hoc data requests, develop and maintain data transformation routines, investigate data problems and recommend solutions.
This role is an opportunity for a collaborative, results-oriented problem solver to support our implementation and integration projects to reach their goals. The ability to juggle multiple tasks, shift priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment is essential. The candidate must demonstrate creative problem solving, analytic thinking, technical knowledge of relational databases and structured query language (SQL) and extraction, transformation & loading (ETL) platforms (such as Alteryx). Candidate should be flexible to perform other related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Develop & maintain ETL routines (50%):
- Gathers requirements for new ETL routines from cross functional teams
- Documents, develops & tests ETL routines to support teams’ objectives
- Maintains and troubleshoots existing ETL routines
- E.g. Provides support on Alteryx platform workflows integrating ROI (donor database) donation data to NetSuite (Financial system)
- Work on ETL routines for all Systems strategic projects
- Facilitate increased automation of ETL routines
Data and Systems Maintenance (20%):
- Support Systems Project Managers with documentation on data definitions & system integration mappings.
- Support Systems Project Managers with modification of systematic routines to update and output data.
- Support ongoing data hygiene by identifying problems, proposing solutions and outputting datasets needed for clean-up.
- Identify and implement process improvements to increase operational efficiency and effectiveness, simplifying and automating where possible and reducing manual work.
Data storage expertise (15%):
- Support the design of the applications data structure, storage, and integration.
- Provide insight into the changing database storage and utilization requirements for MSF-USA and offer suggestions for solutions.
- Work with the integration solution architects and designers to support data integration solutions.
Data Analysis (15%)
- Conduct data analysis to support various business units across the organization.
- Support organization in an emerging analytics practice.
EXTENT OF PUBLIC CONTACT
The Data Analyst will have frequent contact with people outside the organization, including vendors, consultants, volunteers, donor advisory boards and members of the public.
This position requires remaining productive and focused within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Able to support the evolution of an unstructured data environment across disparate databases and applications to a fully structured and controlled enterprise data architecture
- Proficient in SQL
- Fluent in new technologies for ETL, middleware and warehousing that will help MSF solve its data challenges with less time and money
- Able to identify, clarify, and resolve issues and risks related to database design and data management, escalating them as needed
- Recognize potential problem areas against the plan and identify and implement alternative solutions
- Participate in the exchange of ideas and information within and outside the department to ensure best practices are shared throughout the organization
- Drive continuous improvement through trend reporting analysis and metrics management.
- Ensure 100% adherence to all MSF-USA policies and procedures, especially as they relate to information security protocols and the protection of sensitive information
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Computer Engineering or Information Systems. (Master’s degree preferred)
- 3-5 years of data analyst experience including ETL workflows
- Experience with complex data projects
- Essential: Demonstrated understanding of relational databases and SQL expertise. Ability to analyze and interpret data for technical and not-technical partners
- Experience with data repository technologies (e.g. data warehouses, data-marts, etc)
- Knowledge of Agile development methodology and concepts.
- Knowledge of information systems and data life-cycle management best practices and methodologies, formal systems engineering life cycle (SELC), and systems development life cycle (SDLC).
- Understanding and/or hands-on experience with CRM, Marketing, HR and/or Financial systems.
- Organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- Strong commitment to MSF mission and humanitarian principles
- Experience with Alteryx and data warehouse expertise strongly preferred
- Experience using a data analysis language, such as R (or willingness to learn)
- Familiarity with non-profit fundraising technologies and principles
- Strong commitment to MSF mission and humanitarian principles
Full Time Exempt
Open ended Contract
Salary mid 70s to low 80s (commensurate with experience)
Desired Hiring Date
March 2, 2020
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
ATTN: “Data Analyst” position.
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Please note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
Application Deadline: January 24, 2020