Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising more than $400 million annually to support the mission of the organization.
The Development Systems team supports the entire Development Department to ensure all fundraising teams have the data needed for operations and analytics whether massive multi-step, omni-channel marketing campaigns or high touch relationships with major donors, foundations, and corporations.
The Data Analyst will support the Senior Analyst in ensuring all teams have the fundraising data to meet operational and analytic needs. The primary focus of Data Analyst will be efficient extraction, transformation and loading data between an increasing complexity of systems. The Data Analyst will be a team player able to communicate effectively with internal and external partners to support growing data management demands, respond to ad-hoc data requests, develop and maintain data transformation routines, investigate data problems and recommend solutions. The Data Analyst will become a key back up of the Senior Analyst to adapt data, systems & processes to changing departmental needs through requirements gathering, analysis, design, development and testing. We seek a fast learner who enjoys collaboration and teamwork. He/she/they will be goal oriented and focused on completing requests based on approved priorities and timelines. The successful candidate will also be able to train and provide backup support to other Development staff responsible for data manipulation.
This role is an opportunity for a brilliant, collaborative, results-oriented problem solver to support our data-driven fundraising efforts as our teams work to reach their goals. The ability to juggle multiple tasks, shift priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment is essential. The candidate must demonstrate creative problem solving, analytic thinking, technical knowledge of relational databases and structured query language (SQL) and extraction, transformation & loading (ETL) platforms (such as Alteryx). Candidate should be flexible to perform other related duties as assigned.
- Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Develop & maintain ETL routines (40%)
- Gathers requirements for new ETL routines from cross functional teams.
- Documents, develops & tests ETL routines to support teams’ objectives.
- Maintains and troubleshoots existing ETL routines.
- Provides backup support to System’s department who is responsible for maintaining and troubleshooting Alteryx platform integrating ROI (donor database) donation data to NetSuite (Financial system).
Data and Systems Maintenance (40%)
- Supports Senior Analyst with documentation on data definitions & system integration mappings
- Supports Senior Analyst with modification of systematic routines to update and output data.
- Supports ongoing data hygiene by identifying problems, proposing solutions and, if applicable, outputting datasets needed for clean-up.
- Identifies and implement process improvements to increase operational efficiency and effectiveness, simplifying and automating where possible and reducing manual work.
- Supports ad hoc data requests from various teams, including training them to independently extract data needed.
- Provides backup support to Marketing team for campaign data needs: requirements documentation, top down segmentation review, source code generation & quality control of output.
- If convert from current donor database to a new system, partakes in managing extraction, clean-up and conversion of all data.
- Works closely with Development Operations team to support their efforts to improve back-end processes
Analysis and reporting (20%)
- Supports Senior Analyst in adapting data, systems and processes through requirements gathering, analysis, design, development (generally by vendor) and testing.
- Provides technical assistance to data stewards in each Fundraising team to ensure they can extract reports as needed;
- Facilitate defining requirements for analytic vendor to develop/enhance existing dashboards and KPIs.
- Creates ad hoc and scheduled reports as requested
- All other related tasks as assigned
- Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
III. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular attendance 5 days/week during normal business hours for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be able to travel if required for standard domestic and international business travel.
- Minimum 3 yrs. relevant work experience, preferably in a non-profit, plus Bachelor's degree, or degree in computer science, statistics or marketing preferred.
- Strong computer literacy, and proven experience extracting and manipulating data from large customer/donor databases.
- Essential (will be tested): Demonstrated understanding of relational databases and ability to compare complex data sets via SQL, and ability to analyze and interpret data to both technical and not-technical partners.
- Essential (will be tested): Demonstrated understanding of Alteryx for development of workflows to transforms datasets into required output.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills, including ability to manipulate, analyze, and interpret data, and advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Experience in working in modern CRM and ideally marketing cloud environment able to operate across multiple teams
- Keen attention to detail and project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and written and oral communications skills and a solutions-oriented approach.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work under pressure
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent judgment and diplomacy and ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of Revolution Online (ROI), our current donor database, and Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Data visualization skills.
Full Time Exempt
Fixed Term Contract
Starting salary high 70s to low 80s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
ATTN: “Data Analyst, Development Systems” position.
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: January 10, 2020