Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care in over 70 countries to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $400 million annually in funds in order to meet the financial needs of our organization.
The Marketing Team is responsible for executing integrated marketing efforts, including prospect, renewal, and cultivation campaigns and activities via all communication channels to maximize the revenue and increase awareness of MSF’s activities, concerns, expertise, and values.
Are you a proactive, collaborative and detail-oriented problem-solver who can help us take our fundraising to new heights? Can you ensure the Marketing Team at Doctors Without Borders has the impeccable data we need to shape our strategies, reach the right donors with the right messages, and raise big funds for our lifesaving work? If so, we would like to hear from you.
As Data Analyst, Fundraising (Marketing), you will manage data quality and strategy for fundraising and cultivation campaigns across all channels, including direct mail, email, digital advertising, and telemarketing. You will collaborate across the marketing team and with vendors and other departments to tackle our trickiest data challenges and drive data objectives and revenue growth.
You will be the central manager within marketing who can view all data requests through a fundraising lens. You will have the critical job of ensuring we are reaching the right donor segments with the right creative in a campaign or donor journey, and that data pulls are not working at cross purposes. You will also lead efforts to effectively and efficiently measure and report on campaign performance and testing in order to make data-driven business decisions.
How you’ll make an impact:
- pulling, transforming and loading data from our donor database;
- auditing data quality, investigating and fixing data problems;
- reviewing and giving feedback on campaign segmentation plans to ensure top down logic is in line with strategy
- creating ad hoc reports for a marketing campaign or fundraising event to help drive smart decisions
- participating in a kickoff meeting for an innovative new marketing campaign to ensure we will be able to accurately execute on segmentation and report on data
This is an opportunity for someone with a head for data, strong communication abilities, and an interest in fundraising and marketing to work with massive amounts of data to execute strategic marketing plans. You will be an integral part of an energetic, supportive and innovative team dedicated to taking our fundraising to the next level.
In this role you will report to the Senior Marketing Manager, Strategic Operations. Your responsibilities will include:
Supporting segmentation, planning, execution and analysis
- Participate actively in project kick off meetings to help identify data challenges and opportunities and ensure we are making smart data, segmentation and reporting decisions.
- Provide insight and guidance into campaign segmentation to ensure it aligns to marketing strategy.
- Oversee the quality and accuracy of data pulled from donor CRM database and marketing cloud ensuring they are correctly segmented for mail, telemarketing, and digital campaigns.
- Collaborate with our marketing agencies, donor CRM database vendor and analytic vendors to guide the fulfillment of data requests and troubleshoot pending data issues related to segmentation strategy and execution.
- Project manage the many and various data requests and regular data responsibilities utilizing our project management platform Workfront.
- Ensure accurate campaign tracking across all channels by creating, managing and implementing source codes to track behavior and revenue, and ensure accurate data analysis for testing results and fundraising strategies.
- Collaborate with the audience managers and analytic vendors to assess donor retention trends across key data points, ensuring all donor metrics are available and accurate for this analysis.
Ensuring data quality and segmentation accuracy
- Play a leading role in conversations about data governance and business rules and manage our upcoming business rules update project.
- Be the data quality manager for Marketing
- Perform quality control checks on campaign data and quality control audits on key dashboards and reports.
- Provide insight and guidance to the marketing team and vendors on how to best approach data quality in areas like database segmenting and campaign tracking.
- Ensure results from all campaigns across all channels are uploaded into donor CRM database.
- Audit data synchronization between donor database of record and third-party fundraising and communication platforms and troubleshoot problems.
- Lead implementation of all vendor data models and overlays; manage updates and reporting of quarterly index data.
- Troubleshoot errors and fixes source data or identify transformation problems.
- Conduct periodic reviews of marketing data rules and processes. Work with marketing managers to identify where improvements may need to be made or data flags and pulls may be working at cross purposes.
Uploading, transforming and pulling data
- Ensure campaign data files uploaded to donor database are accurate.
- Fulfill ad-hoc data requests from Marketing team as necessary.
Analysis and reporting
- Create and manage ad hoc and scheduled reports for a variety of campaigns and activities with an eye to generating actionable insights.
- Develop power user expertise in the interactive PowerBI visual reporting dashboards. generated by our analytics vendor, in order to support reporting and insight requests from the marketing team.
You have an analytical mind and pay strong attention to quality, detail, and accuracy. You are a quick and adaptive learner, comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision. You should also have:
- Minimum 2-4 years relevant experience, preferably in a non-profit and/or marketing environment.
- Knowledge of relational database concepts and technology.
- Ability to understand and interpret processes and data needs, utilizing strong stakeholder relationship skills, consensus-building skills and ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment.
- Experience in the development and implantation of standards, procedures, and guidelines to support business processes.
- Strong written and oral communications skills and an ability to translate complex data requirements into plain language for marketing staff and vendors.
- Excellent analytical skills and a strong head for data and numbers. You know the right questions to ask and numbers to crunch to generate useful insights.
- Data visualization skills, able to turn data into clear charts that tell the story.
- Advanced skills in Excel, solid PowerPoint skills and strong computer literacy overall.
- Ability to think through problems systematically, integrate information from multiple sources, propose and implement solutions.
- Solid project management skills. Ability to track multiple projects at a time and to prioritize appropriately.
- Ability to compare complex data sets via SQL, Access or other means.
- Experience with Revolution Online (ROI) donor database or similar
- Experience visualizing data for reports in a tool such as PowerBI or Tableau.
Full Time Exempt
Open ended contract
Starting salary $75,000 - $81,000 (commensurate with experience)
Desired Hiring Date
January 21, 2020
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: email@example.com,
ATTN: “Data Analyst, Fundraising and Marketing” position. Submissions without a cover letter will not be accepted.
Please note we do not accept phone calls during the recruitment process.
Please also note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
Application Deadline: January 4, 2020