Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $350 million annually in funds in order to meet the financial needs of our organization.
The Marketing Team is responsible for executing integrated marketing efforts, including prospect, renewal, and cultivation campaigns and activities via all communication channels to maximize the revenue and increase awareness of MSF’s activities, concerns, expertise, and values.
The Digital Marketing Manager, Email and Automation develops and delivers the strategic vision for growth of the email marketing program at Doctors Without Borders USA.
Thanks to our new, industry leading technology the marketing team are entering an exciting new era of data driven, personalized and automated marketing. This role sits at the center of this new initiative, collaborating with audience managers and other channel managers to develop, implement, measure and optimize donor journeys and email campaigns.
This is no ordinary email role, there are many plates to spin, responsibilities to oversee and hefty targets to reach including a growth rate of at least 10% each year. Your abilities to meet multiple stakeholder expectations, identify and develop compelling content, test and optimize, report and analyze, maintain outstanding deliverability, code and build emails and segment databases will be tested daily. It’s a big job suited to an ambitious email marketer who is ready to apply their skills to support an incredible mission.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
. Program Responsibilities (70%)
As Email Marketing manager you will:
- Join the Salesforce Marketing Cloud implementation team and help lead the configuration and launch of the platform
- Using data, industry benchmarks and your experience develop a strategy to drive the email program to new heights with a focus on supporting audience goals around revenue, engagement, acquisition and retention
- Develop a strategy for the implementation of SMS campaigns, scale and grow the SMS marketing efforts of MSF USA
- Lead MSF’s email agency partnership and oversee the day-to-day production of email campaigns from start to end including creative, design of email layout, implementation, deployment, A/B testing, optimization, monitoring, reporting and analysis
- Conduct multivariate tests of customer segmentation, subject lines, time of send, content, landing pages and channel and recommend/execute responses to optimize campaign performance, customer value and retention
- In close collaboration with our business intelligence partner, support the move towards a multi-dimensional view of our donors and supporters, managing customer data to inform and automate more successful customer interactions
- In collaboration with key stakeholders develop and run dynamic customer journeys (welcome-series, upgrades, win-back) as well as trigger email programs to support retention and reactivation
- Collaborate with the rest of the digital marketing team to coordinate the marketing calendar and the use of email in integrated marketing campaigns
- Monitor and maintain email deliverability
- Craft initiatives and collaborate with marketing team to steadily increase active email subscribers (lead generation)
- Build reports to analyze email performance and to uncover insights to develop
strategic recommendations and communicate to key stakeholders within the organization
- Monitor and maintain top-level email indicators such as email subscription, legal compliance, and CRM strategies, to minimize list decay and unsubscribes
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings and Program Updates and several annual office-wide debates to participate in information sharing across all departments and stay informed on important MSF topics so as to be able to contribute to the organization’s ongoing development.
- Participate in international meetings and knowledge-sharing
III. Supervisory Responsibilities (20%)
Manages Email Marketing Coordinator, Consultants and vendors related to the email program.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training staff; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
IV. Fiscal Responsibility (10%)
Works with Marketing Director, Senior Digital Marketing Manager, Email Agency and Business Intelligence agency to forecast email related revenue and expenses. Manages expenses and the payment of invoices relevant to the email program. Handles analysis of revenue trends throughout the year to assess results and interprets data to recommend appropriate changes to targets or adjustments in strategies.
V. Extent of Public Contact
Represents MSF to key vendors and freelancers. Interacts with other marketing staff from international offices.
- 3+ years of experience in email marketing management, with emphasis on lifecycle and triggered behavioral messaging, database marketing and analytics
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and experience
- Expertise in developing segmentation and defining targeting strategies that get results
- Experience in leading successful email personalization strategies and handling dynamic customer journeys
- Experience working with Salesforce Marketing Cloud or other CRM platforms Lifecycle management experience driving conversions and engagement results
- Strong data and analytical skills; ability to utilize and interpret data and analytics to quantify and improve marketing results
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to proofread own work accurately
- Acute attention to detail and ability to research / problem solve issues
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency using MS Office and deep knowledge of Excel.
- Collaborative team player with positive relationship skills
- Excellent, proven time management and organizational skills
- Interest in the mission and messaging of Doctors Without Borders
- Experience working with Salesforce Marketing Cloud or other CRM platforms
- Experience handling complex vendor relationships and maximizing productivity of vendors and consultants.
- Previous experience building and executing SMS campaigns
Full Time Exempt
Open Ended Contract
Starting salary high 70s to low 80s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
September 16, 2019
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: email@example.com,
ATTN: “Digital Marketing Manager, Email and Automation” position. Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Please note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
Application Deadline: August 23, 2019