Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that provides medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Field Human Resources Department (Field HR) is responsible for recruitment, selection, placement, and retainment of qualified and well-suited field staff to meet the growing needs of MSF field operations.
The Field HR Assistant performs administrative functions to support the placement and return of field workers to and from the field, specifically those assigned to Brussels, Amsterdam, and Barcelona operational centers. In addition, s/he supports and provides back-up for the pre-departure administration handled by the Field HR Associate.
- Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Placement Administration (85%)
- Is the liaison between assigned Operational Centers (OC) and departing or returning field workers to determine appropriate travel arrangements including finalizing departure dates based on discussion with HRO and visa procurement time frames.
- Welcomes returning field workers back to the office. Coordinates briefings and debriefings between field workers and office staff including FHR, HR, Communications, Association, Programs, Development, PSCU and any necessary phone briefings with the OCs.
- Keeps briefing/debriefing schedule current.
- Coordinates with field workers to assist with documentation preparation for visas, work permit documentation, general and personal travel expectations, understanding of the travel policy, outstanding expenses, updating information in the database based on work orders and end of mission documents.
- Arranges travel and lodging for Field HR department staff, as well as visiting staff from other MSF sections, as needed.
- Responsible that all needed medical documentation is completed before booking travel.
- Responsible for maintaining most recent address and emergency contact information for field volunteer.
- Responsible for maintaining passport photo file and printing passport photos as needed.
Visa procurement (10%)
- Arranges all necessary visa documents and follows the documents authentication process for each outgoing field staff in a time-sensitive manner.
- Negotiates with embassies, consulates and missions to facilitate the visa process, as necessary.
- Responsible for maintaining centralized information source regarding international visas, visa services, and country contact informatio
- Scans and maintains visa and passport records for departing field staff.
Other departmental responsibilities (5%)
- Runs EOM report and sends survey emails to international office each month.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating data base accurately according to the mission assignments record and other essential details. Attends weekly and monthly staff meetings, program department updates, and several annual office-wide debates to participate in information sharing across all departments and stay informed on important MSF topics so as to be able to contribute to the organization’s ongoing development.
- Other Tasks
- Reviews, codes and submits general departmental invoices (travel, lodging, visas, vaccinations) for processing by Finance.
- Enters and codes monthly travel related expenses into Expense Watch
- Implements requests for volunteers to receive vaccinations, medical screenings, visas etc. Assists volunteers to submit expense reimbursement forms.
- Extent of Public Contact
Regularly greets volunteer candidates and assists them throughout their departure and return from the field. Works directly with hotel, travel and travel clinic vendors, as well as relations with State Department, consulates, etc. to obtain visas and other required documentation.
- Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular attendance 5 days/week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required. From time to time it will be necessary to go to consulates and other government structures in the metro area.
- Minimum two years related work experience plus Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work and work at a fast pace in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong attention to detail with ability to track multiple projects at one time.
- Strong interpersonal and written and oral communications skills
- Strong computer literacy, including ability to use word processing and spreadsheet and database software and to search the internet for research purposes.
- Outstanding proven time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision
Open Ended Contract
Starting salary low 50s to mid 50s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
ATTN: “Field HR Assistant” position.
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: February 7, 2020.