Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care in over 70 countries to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $400 million annually in funds in order to meet the financial needs of our organization.
The Marketing Team is responsible for executing integrated marketing efforts, including prospect, renewal, and cultivation campaigns and activities via all communication channels to maximize the revenue and increase awareness of MSF’s activities, concerns, expertise, and values.
Are you a driven and detail-oriented problem-solver who can help us get our marketing campaigns out the door with quality, accuracy, and speed? Do you have excellent proofreading and research skills and an eye for copy and design? If so, we would like to hear from you.
Doctors Without Borders USA is seeking a full-time Marketing Coordinator to own the direct mail creative and production process and serve as the day-to-day liaison with our marketing agency. Under the guidance of the Marketing Manager for Direct Response, you will ensure our direct mail marketing campaigns get out the door on time, on brand, and on strategy.
Direct mail is MSF-USA’s largest source of revenue, and our biggest channel for acquiring new donors. You will play a critical role on our high-energy, innovative, and growing marketing team.
On any given day, you might be:
- Trouble-shooting complex schedule, approval, and copy challenges to ensure a successful, on-time mail drop
- Coordinating a fast-moving integrated emergency appeal campaign
- Fact-checking and copyediting a brochure about surgical projects in conflict zones
- Setting up interviews with aid workers to use in fundraising letters
- Searching for that just-right photo to inspire increased giving
- Participating in a creative design sprint, reconciling conflicting edits from senior staff, and trouble-shooting schedule challenges.
You will help the marketing team bring powerful stories from the field to our donors in order to deepen their support—and raise tens of millions for our lifesaving work.
Direct Mail Program Coordination – 90%
- Owns the direct mail campaign schedule, project management, and touchpoint plan. Monitors deadlines; proactively communicates and problem-solves with vendors and colleagues to keep multiple campaigns to deadline.
- Owns creative approval process:
- Routes materials internally for review and approval. Troubleshoots creative challenges and reconcile complex conflicting staff edits.
- Edits and rewrites copy as necessary.
- Owns direct mail quality control: Proofreads, fact-checks, QCs creative and production details, reviews personalization setups, ensures messaging and brand consistency.
- Produces and curates content:
- Sets up interviews with aid workers. Researches staff, compiles profiles.
- Conducts creative background research and photo searches as needed.
- Monitors field activities and operational updates to appropriately represent Doctors Without Borders and source content for campaigns.
- Coordinates with creative freelancers and production vendors to produce direct mail and print campaigns. Manages back and forth with copywriters, designers and printers.
- Supports Marketing Manager for Direct Response as needed on:
- managing inhouse creative projects
- reviewing package grids and other time-sensitive direct mail documents
- Works with Marketing Manager for Direct Response and print vendor to improve the acknowledgment program by updating copy and art. Identifies opportunities for innovation and testing, updates data logic as needed.
- Identifies internal resources and opportunities to support integrated campaigns by collaborating with audience managers, channel managers and across departments.
Marketing Team Administrative Support – 10%
- Coordinates or participates in special projects, including creative design sprints, touchpoint planning, and process improvement projects.
- Supports budget management needs such as invoice coding and expense reconciliation
- Acts as an ambassador for our digital project management tool, Workfront (training provided) and helps improve project management processes with vendors and staff.
- Handles direct mail archive and sample requests. Manages digital archiving for direct mail projects. Supervises intern and/or volunteers to manage hard copy archives.
- 1-2 years relevant experience, such as at nonprofit marketing, marketing agency, or in journalism, media, or publishing
- A demonstrated dedication to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even when encountering obstacles.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Fantastic communications skills, both written and oral, with flawless grammar.
- An expert researcher, proofreader, copyeditor, and fact checker.
- Responsible, pro-active, driven and able to work independently. 100% follow-through.
- A quick, adaptive and enthusiastic learner.
- A collaborative team player, comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong computer and Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel and Word.
- A strong eye for photography and graphic design
- Experience with digital project management tools (such as Workfront) a plus
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Acrobat Pro, PhotoShop, Illustrator & InDesign) a plus
- Understanding of print production and digital prepress a plus
Full time Exempt
Open ended contract
Starting salary high 50s to low 60s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: email@example.com,
ATTN: “Marketing Coordinator, Direct Response” position. Submissions without a cover letter will not be accepted.
Please note we do not accept phone calls during the recruitment process.
Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
Application Deadline: October 9, 2019