The Communications Department is responsible for developing a coherent voice and delivering clear public messages to inform both US and international audiences of MSF, its field activities and the humanitarian principles that underpin them; to raise awareness about the plight of the populations we serve; to promote public communication aimed at exposing and describing the field reality, including dilemmas and challenges; and to garner public understanding for our advocacy messages related to field operational concerns and the Access Campaign, via the media, print and digital channels , public awareness and advocacy campaigns, conferences, etc.
Under the direction of the social media manager, the social media associate will create dynamic content for social platforms, expand engagement, and contribute to the overall communications strategy. The associate will play an active role in daily social media listening, tracking and reporting on analytics. The ideal candidate will contribute creatively to ongoing projects and campaigns, and propose experiments with new tools and platforms for MSF to communicate with the public.
I. Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Works under the supervision of the social media manager as part of the editorial team to create, edit, and schedule innovative content in support of communications and advocacy goals. Delivers MSF-USA tone and voice across platforms.
Provides social media support to other departments and teams as needed—including events, marketing, and field human resources—and strengthens collaboration between international digital teams.
Uses social media effectively to promote and amplify live events and webcasts, including through live tweeting. Assists with Facebook Live productions and live video for other platforms.
Expands engagement with MSF-USA’s online community, responding to user comments and routing queries within the organization as appropriate. Gathers insights on user behavior and preferences on various social platforms.
Maintains a shared editorial calendar to coordinate content posting across platforms by MSF-USA and other international offices.
Publishes and distributes editorial content produced by MSF-USA, including original video content, across social platforms.
Conducts photo and video research, selects appropriate visual materials to use in digital communications.
Helps to identify and target various demographic audiences for paid and organic posts.
Provides regular and detailed social media reports using Sysomos listening tool; conducts user engagement research and generates campaign reports as requested.
Advises on tools and best practices for developing and tracking key performance indicators.
Supports intensive social media monitoring during crises and breaking news events affecting MSF.
Develops fresh approaches to communicating about MSF’s work and identifies opportunities for reaching new audiences.
II. Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
III. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular attendance 5 days/week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required.
Must be able to travel, as required, for standard domestic and international business travel.
· 1-3 years relevant professional experience, journalism or non-profit experience preferred
· Good understanding of the social media landscape with skilled experience on platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Medium, and LinkedIn
· Experience using social media listening and scheduling tools
· Experience contributing to digital campaigns
· Excellent writing skills and creative flair; samples of published work and/or social media projects to be provided upon request
· Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF
· Strong organizational skills working in a deadline-driven environment
· Competence in setting goals, tracking analytics, and monitoring strategic communications
· High level of computer literacy, including ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, and database software, and strong internet research skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a collaborative creative team
· Skills in Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and/or Final Cut Pro
· Experience in developing infographics
· Knowledge of and/or previous experience with a humanitarian organization or other international non-profit
Open Ended Contract
Starting salary high 50s to low 60s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
11, June 2018
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line “Attn: Social Media Associate”
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: May 28, 2018.