The Finance Department support MSF in carrying out its mission in an effective, efficient, ethical and accountable manner to its donors and the public at large by managing MSFUSA's budgetary, financial and accounting practice. The Finance team consist of 4 units - Revenue, Accounts Payable, Grants, and Payroll.
With direction provided by senior finance staff, processes accounts payable transactions and provides clerical, administrative and bookkeeping assistance to the Finance Department.
- Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Corporate Credit Cards:
Manages all aspect of credit card processing, including:
- Takes a high-level approach in ensuring that itemized items have been coded properly
- Ensures that credit card detail report from MSF-USA personnel reconcile to monthly statements prior to payment.
- Accounts for all transactions in the accounting system
- Processes payment of monthly invoices.
Reviews expense reports timely to ensure adherence to general MSF-USA travel and expense policy. When appropriate and where clarification is needed, follows up with his/her manager for guidance and/or the individual cardholder for clarification or additional support. Accounts for all transactions in the accounting system and processes payment.
Other Accounts Payable Activities:
Prepares and processes all invoices for Multatuli travel invoices. Ensures that expenses are coded properly and approval signatures are present and taking corrective action as needed.
Same for all NuTravel, Holiday Inn invoices & other travel related expenses (hotels, etc.)
Manage the filing and other administrative task for the Finance Department, including mailing, copies, scanning, setting up meetings, reserving rooms and making appointments.
Other duties, including but not limited to general support to A/P activities, as assigned.
Prepares quarterly reports of budgets vs. actuals for review by departments as well as responding to requests from staff for other financial reports.
Communicates with staff on all aspects of employee policies and procedures, regarding expense and credit card reports and mobile phone accounts.
Participates in planning and implementation of MSF-USA’s finance department strategies, policies and procedures.
Participates in departmental meetings to share information, brainstorm solutions, and coordinate priorities.
Evaluates areas of efficiency and improvement. Makes recommendations to improve financial and accounting operations based on observation and working with MSF-USA personnel.
Attends regularly scheduled HQ staff meetings, program updates and several annual office-wide debates to participate in information sharing across all departments, and stay informed on important MSF topics.
Other duties, including but not limited to disbursements and A/P activities, as assigned.
- Extent of Public Contact
Primary finance department contact with investment advisors and credit card vendors.
Works regularly with vendors to resolve billing issues, opening up/closing out accounts and other matters
Point of contact with government regulators in connection with Charitable Gift Annuity program.
- Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular attendance 5 days/week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required. Timely in attendance.
- Minimum 1-3 years directly relevant work experience required, plus a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related area, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Strong accounting skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting and excel
- Demonstrated experience in business process analysis
- Strong general computer literacy including but not limited to word processing, web usage, ability to learn new Windows-based programs and navigate new user interfaces to use vendor accounts online.
- Ability to communicate with non-finance professionals about financial and accounting matters
- Organized, detail-oriented, creative, problem solving, analytical individual with strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to write a range of correspondence from formal business letters to internal memos to staff.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work under pressure and with deadlines.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Keen attention to detail with ability to track multiple projects at the same time.
- Ability to work independently and/or with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent judgment and diplomacy.
Open ended Contract
Starting salary high 40s to 50s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
21, May 2018
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send cover letter and resume by May 2, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
Attn.: “Finance Assistant”. Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed.
Applications for this position will be reviewed on a rolling basis prior to the final deadline of May 2, 2018
If applicant is not based in New York, please indicate in cover letter ability to relocate. Note that no relocation assistance can be provided.
No calls, please.