Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Finance Department supports MSF in carrying out its mission in an effective, efficient, ethical and accountable manner to its donors and the public at large by managing MSF-USA's budgetary, financial and accounting practice. The Finance team consist of 4 units - Revenue, Accounts Payable, Grants, and Payroll.
The Payroll Specialist is accountable for business processes primarily serving internal constituents of the organization. This role includes management of payroll and related processes in close coordination with HR Managers to process Domestic and International Staff payrolls in a timely manner.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Manage and ensure disbursement of domestic and international payroll, benefits, taxes and other deductions for approximately 700 employees consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Ensure payroll and deductions comply with organization’s policies, employee authorization and regulations, and any discrepancies are identified and corrected in a timely manner.
- In coordination with HR, ensure the processing of payroll related items for new hires, temporary staff, transfers, promotions and terminations are accurate and timely.
- Review and analyze current payroll, benefits and tax procedures and recommend policy changes leading to compliance and best practices.
- Maintain payroll related benefit schedules and reconcile 401K, FSA, and commuter programs.
- Manage uploads in a timely manner and work with vendors to identify and correct any discrepancies.
- Maintain high level of technical knowledge in all areas of payroll processing including advanced payroll concepts and tax reporting. Remain current with any changes to federal and state law affecting payroll, benefits administration, and taxation and regulations pertaining to ex-pats working abroad.
- Prepare relevant management reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports.
- Responsible for payroll journal entries that accurately reflect payroll costs in the GL
- Maintain schedules to calculate allocation of employee benefit related costs and prepares appropriate journal entries.
- Perform reconciliation of Form 941 with general ledger and amendments, as appropriate.
- Analyze, adjust and correct related journal entries, as needed.
- Responsible for payroll-related schedules relating to Form 990, workers compensation, and any other payroll related audits or inquiries
- Attends departmental meetings to share information, brainstorm solutions, and coordinate priorities.
- Attends regularly scheduled staff meetings and several annual office-wide discussions, to stay informed of important MSF topics and be contribute to the organization’s ongoing development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for reviewing payroll-related invoices for accuracy of coding, proper authorization, and compliance with fiscal procedures and rules.
- Support development of the MSF-USA budget related to personnel and payroll costs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular attendance 5 days/week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required.
- At least 5 years of experience managing a complex payroll system
- Extensive knowledge of payroll information technology (ADP certified preferred)
- Finance, accounting or business administration education preferred
- Proficient with MS Excel, MS Office, Adobe, etc.
- Working experience of federal, state and local payroll taxes, 401K, and other benefits
- Must be detail oriented & highly organized
Full Time Exempt
Open ended Contract
Starting salary mid 70s to low 80s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
ATTN: “Payroll Specialist” position.
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Please note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
Application Deadline: August 18, 2019