Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Systems Department in the U.S. office of Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) acts like the organization's central nervous system, providing the vital information infrastructure to ensure the smooth functioning of all its operations. The Systems Department is responsible for building, configuring and maintaining the technical architecture, both physical and virtual, which ensures MSF can achieve the ambitions of its mission.
The Senior Network Engineer provides technical expertise for the evolution of MSF-USA’s ICT infrastructure and transformation to cloud technologies. The scope of work for this position includes implementing and maintaining secure system configurations, replacing end-of-life network hardware and building a more robust disaster recovery landscape for the organization, eliminating single points of failure and ensuring continuity of critical business operations. The Infrastructure (W5) workstream within MSF-USA’s IT portfolio aims to maintain and enhance existing on-prem and off-prem infrastructure at MSF-USA. The Senior Network Engineer must research, develop, implement, test and review MSF-USA’s infrastructure in order to ensure Systems department is providing optimal support to all departments at MSF-USA in a timely manner. The Senior Network Engineer is also responsible for ensuring the Systems department is forward thinking so that risks/dependencies are mitigated in a timely manner and there is adequate planning for future work. S/he plays a critical role in enabling security controls across the network per MSF-USA’s compliance framework.
Who you are:
For this position it is most important that you are:
- A seasoned professional in the IT infrastructure sphere with experience establishing and implementing core aspects of infrastructure and networks within a small to medium sized organization.
- Very familiar with networking and infrastructure concepts, such as Microsoft Application Stack (e.g. Active Directory, O365), Cisco networking and unified collaboration technologies, Windows Server/Desktop OS, VMWare/HyperV, IP based networking, cloud management, office-wide collaboration tools for audio and video conferencing.
- Committed to successful project planning and execution for network operations.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Design and Implementation of Robust Infrastructure and Networking Architecture (100%)
- Act as a subject matter expert/Tier III support for the infrastructure team as it pertains to Windows servers, Active Directory, Azure and Office 365
- Deploy, maintain and troubleshoot Windows Servers on a vSphere and public cloud environments
- Manage Microsoft domain environments; including AD, DNS, DHCP, GPO’s, LAPS and Windows 2008, 2012, 2016 servers;
- Manage and automate enterprise-wide server and desktop systems patching for OS and standard applications
- Maintain secure environments running on-prem and in Azure using industry-accepted standards (MFA, encrypted data at rest and in transit, etc.)
- Maintain and support backups and replication
- Assess the impact of modifications to and technological advances within production environment information systems
- Plan and implement evolution of internal networks, remote access, storage scalability etc.
- Identify opportunities for automation of service and technology provision, including ways processes can be optimized to maximize team efficiency
- Enable technical controls across network equipment to meet compliance requirements per device
- Account for end-of-life for software and hardware by ensuring plans for their replacement are scalable and cost-effective
- Plan move to cloud infrastructure for backups and file servers.
- Collaborate on oversight for IT disaster and business continuity planning with InfoSec Project Manager
- Troubleshoot technical and configuration problems with MSF-USA’s Cisco networking and unified collaboration technology, ensuring viable adoption paths for services and tools used by staff
- Supervision of volunteers, temporary staff, consultants and/or vendors will be required depending on the project activities in flight.
- As part of the W5 project development team, the Senior Network Engineer supports routine and ad hoc budget vs. actuals reports to management and stakeholders before, during and after each phase of project execution.
Extent of Public Contact
The Senior Network Engineer will have frequent contact with people outside the organization, including vendors, consultants, volunteers, donor advisory boards and members of the general public.
This position requires remaining productive and focused within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline or equivalent
- Minimum five years infrastructure / network experience
- Experience with business continuity/disaster recovery planning
- Strong leadership abilities, with the ability to develop and guide team members and external parties and work with minimal supervision
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Application stack administration and engineering
- Active Directory Domain Services
- Azure Active Directory
- Azure Infrastructure and Platform as a Service
- Group Policy
- AD DNS
- Windows Server and Desktop operating systems
- Office 365
- Powershell scripting
- Experience with virtualization using VMWare and Microsoft HyperV
- Solid knowledge of IP based networking with a focus on security
- Extensive experience with Cisco networking
- Intrusion Detection Systems
- Firewall policies
- Router ACLs
- Troubleshooting network data transfer in real time and using packet capture analysis
- Experience implementing and maintaining Cisco unified collaboration technologies
- Experience developing, implementing and maintaining IT policies, procedures, standards and guidelines
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and system development
- Certification in Windows Server Management
- Cisco Networking Certification
- Network security and risk training certification
- Experience working in Agile teams using Scrum and/or Kanban for IT delivery
Full Time Exempt
Open Ended Contract
Starting salary high 80s to low 90s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
October 7, 2019
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
ATTN: “Senior Network Engineer” position.
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: September 16th, 2019