Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries. We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Finance Department supports MSF in carrying out its mission in an effective, efficient, ethical and accountable manner to its donors and the public at large by managing MSF-USA's budgetary, financial, and accounting practices. The Finance Department consists of 4 areas including Revenue, Accounts Payable, Grants, and Payroll.
As Senior Staff Accountant, you will be responsible for managing the day to day accounting & processing of payables & reimbursements, expense & liability analysis, GL account reconciliation, and audit support. This role reports directly to the Finance Manager and collaborates across finance and other departments to assist in maintaining cash flow projections, quarterly & annual budgets, and other organizational analysis and reporting as needed.
1. Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Accounts Payable and Expense Management (40%)
- Responsible for managing the accuracy and productivity of the accounts payable staff
- Oversee processing & verification of invoices, issuance of disbursements, and journal entries
- Ensures all disbursements are properly authorized, expenses are properly supported & coded in compliance with established policies, and that invoices are paid on a timely basis
- Maintains vendor master list & confirms collection of required documentation to comply with IRS 1099 regulations
- Reviews and reconciles all non-donation entries and respective general ledger accounts, and resolves discrepancies in a timely basis
General Ledger Management (35%)
- Demonstrates strong not-for-profit and other U.S. GAAP accounting knowledge and experience to apply in the preparation of M/Q/Y reporting.
- Must be able to prepare or review journal entries and complex underlying supporting schedules and documents with ability to explain such analysis to non-financial staff.
- Responsible for monthly and year-end reconciliations of various accounts payable & liabilities accounts including fixed assets, depreciation, prepaid expenses, mortgage payables, and capitalized lease obligations
- Works closely with the Finance manager in calculating the annual grant expense in accordance with international principals, schedules grant payments with Operational Centers, and reconciles grant payments in SAP
Budget and Reporting (15%)
- Participates in the maintenance of the organization’s budgeting system, policies and processes
- Works with finance team and key budget owners to create and monitor budgets
- Assists in production of required budget schedules & internal reports
- Responsible for ongoing analysis of budget vs. actual
Consolidation of International MSF Accounts (5%)
Participates, as required, in the generation of expense, and non-financial asset and liability information for the annual International Combined Accounts financial statement
Cash Projections (5%)
Assists Finance Manager in the preparation of monthly and rolling 13-week cash flow projections
Management & Administration
- Participates in the planning and implementation of Finance Department systems, strategies, policies, and procedures
- Evaluates and recommends improvements to improve accounts payable, internal controls, and other financial operations
- Other special projects as assigned
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Supervises the work of 2-3 Accounts Payable Associates in accordance with the organization's policies & procedures and applicable laws
- Coordinates accounts payable projects as needed and directed by the Finance Manager.
- Reviews work produced for accuracy and completeness
- Keeps teamwork, communication, and structure within AP team
- Fiscal Responsibility
Contributes to the accuracy and completeness of all non-donation related reporting activities.
- Extent of Public Contact
This role works closely with Domestic staff, Finance staff at partner sections, and auditors
- Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular attendance 5 days/week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-6 years’ experience in a mid-level finance or accounting position
- Superior accounting, reporting & analytical skills.
- Strong understanding of NFP Accounting and prior experience with non-financial assets reporting and analysis
- Experience with MIP, Net Suite, ExpenseWatch preferred
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft products (i.e., Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Organized, detail-oriented, and proficient in problem solving
- Ability to handle multiple projects under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent judgment and diplomacy
- Ability to communicate with non-finance professionals about financial and accounting matters
- Strong written communication skills
- Experience supervising staff
Full Time Exempt
Open Ended Contract
Starting salary mid 70’s to low 80’s to commensurate with experience
Desired Hiring Date
Working Time %
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, ATTN: “Senior Staff Accountant”.
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2019