From flexibility and availability to language skills and stress management, find out if you are ready.
Some field workers commit to Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) for a single mission only, but many enjoy the flexibility of being able to undertake missions during different periods in their careers as personal circumstances permit. Others may determine that working with MSF is a way of life suited to their values and career aspirations over the long term. MSF offers a vast array of long term career options with increasing responsibility, scope, and complexity over time and the opportunity to have an impact on the strategic direction of the organization at the management level.
MSF is committed to the ongoing professional development of its field workers. It provides them with access to various types of training that build the skills and knowledge required to be effective in the field. This ensures that MSF as an organization can respond to the most urgent and critical needs of the people it helps around the globe, people who often require scarce and highly specialized types of expertise from medical and support professionals. Training programs can range from language training, to sophisticated medical treatments and protocols, to management and leadership best practices, and a host of other possibilities relevant to the professional background and career aspirations of each individual.
Terms of Employment
MSF salaries are set so as to reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism while recognizing the high level of professional expertise provided by field staff. Starting gross monthly salary is $2,039, with subsequent increases based on expertise and experience. Americans working in the field with MSF receive a US letter agreement in which all required taxes and contributions are deducted.
- Paid vacation (25 days per year)
- Comprehensive Leave Package (Paid Parental Leave, FMLA, Paid Sick Leave)
- Workers Compensation, Short & Long Term Disability coverage
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Life insurance & AD&D coverage
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance (Employer paid)
- Three-month extension of medical & dental insurance coverage post assignment
- Psychosocial care support before and after mission
- Access to Employee Assistance Program (Legal advice, tax advice, mental health services)
- Confidential peer support network
Student Loan Forgiveness Program Employment with MSF is considered Public Service and therefore qualifies for student loan forgivenesseligibility via the US Government’s Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF). For more information click here
Primary Costs Covered
- Pre-departure/ induction training in New York
- Reimbursement of mission-specific vaccinations
- Required visas and work permits
- Round-trip transportation to the field
- Accommodation in the field
- Daily per diem in local currency while in the field
- Accommodation and transportation in New York City and Europe for briefings and debriefings
- Medical evacuation coverage