Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) anesthesiologists often work in conflict settings to provide care to communities with limited access to functioning health care systems.
As the majority of our vacancies are in Francophone contexts, proficiency in French is required.
Surgical cases include: general, trauma, obstetrics, orthopedic, pediatrics, burn, and reconstruction.
Basic diagnostic equipment and facilities needed to run an operating room will be limited. Responsibilities include providing anesthesia, pain management, teaching and supervising staff, reporting, and at times assisting the ICU.
MSF asks anesthesiologists to depart on very short notice to meet the needs of emergencies that require their skills.
Click here to see a generic job profiles and potential career path with MSF.
Role Specific Requirements
- French language (B2 or above)
- Compliance with Essential Requirements for all potential candidates
- Commitment to work internationally for a minimum of 8 to 12 week assignments
- Previous experience in a low resource setting (priority given to those with experience working in a humanitarian context)
- Must have an active license
- Minimum of two years relevant professional experience post anesthesia training
- At least six months of practical experience within the last two years
- Experience in pediatrics, obstetrics, and trauma anesthesia
- Ability to work autonomously with limited materials and resources
- Ability to work within a diverse team