Supply logisticians are either based in the project or in the capital and work closely with all departments, ensuring that accurate forecasting is done so that the project has the capacity to respond immediately to urgent medical needs as they arise.
Supply logisticians are responsible for ordering all supplies for the project. They often have experience in supply chain management and have strong skills in managing spreadsheets and databases. Training, supervising, and managing local staff is a key responsibility, and the supply team may be comprised of storekeepers, purchasers, supply logistics assistants, and laborers. A large part of the supply logistician's work is to build the capacity of these local staff, as well as to ensure safe and fair working conditions and manage administration of the department. Supply logisticians also have frequent interaction with local authorities and organizations and often oversee the implementation of security protocols to ensure the safe movement of cargo into the project.
Click here to see a generic job description and potential career path with MSF.
- Compliance with Essential Requirements for all potential candidates
- Commitment to work in the field for a minimum of 9 to 12 month assignments
- Previous experience in a low resource setting (priority given to those with experience working in a humanitarian context)
- Minimum of two years professional experience in supply chain management, e.g. needs assessment, order management, purchasing, stock management, freight management, transport and customs, and warehousing
- Professional experience supervising, managing, or training staff
- Experience with organization and set-up of supply administration and related supply procedures
- Familiarity with cold chain maintenance and procedures
- Experience with contract writing, budgeting, and reporting
- French or Arabic language (B2 or above)
- Secondary education, desirable warehouse management related studies, procurement, or certificate in clearing and forwarding or related fields