A career with Doctors Without Borders
Candidates who are committed to a long-term career in humanitarian aid will be prioritized.
With MSF many fieldworkers enjoy the flexibility of being able to undertake missions during different periods in their careers or as personal circumstances permit. Others determine that working with MSF is a way of life suited to their values and career aspirations over the long term. Our organization offers a vast array of long term career options with increasing responsibility, scope, and complexity over time and the opportunity to have an impact on the strategic direction of the organization at the management level. Our fieldworkers have a dedicated human resources officer who works with them to develop a career path.
MSF is committed to the ongoing professional development of its field workers. It provides them with access to various types of training that build the skills and knowledge required to be effective in the field. This ensures that MSF as an organization can respond to the most urgent and critical needs of our patients, people who often require highly specialized types of expertise from medical and support professionals. Training programs can range from language training, to sophisticated medical treatments and protocols, to management and leadership best practices, and a variety of other possibilities relevant to the professional background and career aspirations of each individual.
Terms of employment
Fieldworker salaries are set so as to reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism while recognizing the high level of professional expertise provided by field staff. Starting gross monthly salary is $2,039, with subsequent increases based on expertise and experience. Americans working in the field with MSF receive a US letter of agreement in which all required taxes and contributions are deducted.
- Salary increase after 12 months in-field, and at regular intervals thereafter reflecting professional expertise, previous experience, and increasing levels of responsibility.
- Paid vacation (25 days per year)
- Comprehensive Leave Package (Paid Parental Leave, FMLA, Paid Sick Leave)
- Workers Compensation, Short & Long Term Disability coverage
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Life insurance & AD&D coverage
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance (Employer paid)
- Three-month extension of medical & dental insurance coverage post assignment
- Psychosocial care support before and after mission
- Access to Employee Assistance Program (Legal advice, tax advice, mental health services)
- Confidential peer support network
Student Loan Forgiveness Program: Employment with MSF is considered Public Service and therefore qualifies for student loan forgiveness eligibility via the US Government’s Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF).
Primary costs covered
- Pre-departure induction and training in New York
- Reimbursement of mission-specific vaccinations
- Required visas and work permits
- Round-trip transportation to the field
- Accommodation in the field
- Daily per diem in local currency while in the field
- Accommodation and transportation in New York City and Europe for briefings and debriefings
- Medical evacuation coverage