Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care in over 70 countries to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $400 million annually in funds in order to meet the financial needs of our organization.
The Marketing Team is responsible for executing integrated marketing efforts, including prospect, renewal, and cultivation campaigns and activities via all communication channels to maximize the revenue and increase awareness of MSF’s activities, concerns, expertise, and values.
Are you a people person with excellent writing, editing, and communication skills and a passion for helping others? Do you take pride in problem solving and staying on top of important details? If so, we would love to hear from you.
Doctors Without Borders is seeking a seasonal Donor Services Associate, Content Writer to work in our New York office. In this role, you will serve as one of the primary points of contact for our donors, helping answer their questions, solve their problems, and facilitate their donations. You will provide high-quality customer service both on the phone and through e-mail during our busiest time of year. You will represent Doctors Without Borders to the public with warmth, tact and diplomacy, and help our donors understand the critical role they play in our lifesaving work.
You will also own an important six-month project to review, update, and rewrite our donor services communication materials. Your objective will be to ensure these materials are comprehensive, clear, accurate, and create a positive donor experience. This will include our website FAQs, email templates, phone scripts, letters, and more.
This is an opportunity for a detail-oriented, reliable, and self-motivated person looking to get experience in speaking with donors and developing written donor communications. You will be an integral part of a supportive, energetic and committed nonprofit marketing team during our busiest time of year.
In this role, you will report to the Donor Services Manager. Your responsibilities will include:
Providing Donor support (75%)
- Answer prospective and current donors’ questions by phone, e-mail and help them understand the important work they support.
- Patiently and diligently address donors’ complex questions about donations, receipting, and other issues to give them the best possible experience with MSF.
- Regularly review and update the donor database with relevant codes and notes so the team can track donor trends and histories.
- Provide administrative support for the major gifts, foundations, and corporations fundraising units so that large donations can be safely processed and acknowledged.
- Support donor account data hygiene projects with strong attention to detail and follow-through to ensure accurate reporting.
Editing and Updating Donor Communications and FAQs (25%):
- Work with the Donor Services Manager to review, update, and rewrite Donor Services communication materials for accuracy, clarity, and tone. These materials include letters, email, and telephone scripts as well as website FAQs, and will be used by the entire team to ensure consistent, high-quality service is provided to all supporters.
- Update policy and procedural documentation used by the Donor Services team to guarantee MSF supporters are receiving reliable and dependable service regardless of whom on the team they interact with.
You are a strong, clear, and tactful communicator with excellent judgement skills. You pay strong attention to quality, detail, and accuracy.
- Minimum 2 years’ relevant experience, preferably in a non-profit development or marketing environment.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communications skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; ability to write in a clear, concise, warm, and accessible tone for print, phone, email, and websites.
- Proven administrative skills, including keen attention to detail and accuracy, 100% follow-through, and ability to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Strong computer skills, including ability to use Word, Excel, and database software, ability to search the internet for research purposes, and ability to quickly learn new software.
- An ability and willingness to embrace and represent the Doctors Without Borders mission and voice.
- A quick and adaptive learner, comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Ability to stay calm and tactful under deadline pressure and when dealing with difficult donor questions or unhappy callers.
- Prior experience working in Revolution Online (ROI), Raisers Edge or other donor database.
Full Time Non-Exempt
Fixed Term Contract
Starting salary low 60s to mid 60s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
February 10, 2020
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and two relevant writing examples or two descriptions of projects that you have worked on that involved a significant of writing and editing by Friday, January 31, 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Seasonal Donor Services Associate, Content Writer Search
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed. We do not accept phone calls during the recruitment process.
Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2020.