Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) epidemiologists typically work in three areas: outbreak response/control, surveys, and research.
You may be called upon to establish a surveillance system for a meningitis or cholera outbreak, while also taking part in active case finding and in the planning of vaccination campaigns or water-sanitation interventions. You might also be asked to conduct a mortality survey or to design and implement a monitoring and evaluation plan for targeted diseases.
MSF epidemiologists develop data collection systems—from chart forms to database management systems—for a wide range of project health services and serve as the data focal point for a project. In conjunction with the medical team, they will problem-solve data collection issues to ensure good quality data that does not interfere with rapid patient care.
Your responsibilities may also include the recruitment, management, and training of local staff involved in data collection, data entry, research, and other activities, as well as regular analysis of data and reporting of trends to project coordination staff.
Click here to see a generic job description and potential career path with MSF.
- Compliance with Essential Requirements for all potential candidates
- Commitment to work in the field for a minimum of 9 to 12 month assignments
- Master's degree in epidemiology or master's degree in public health with an epidemiological focus
- Previous experience in a low resource setting (priority given to those with experience working in a humanitarian context)
- Minimum of two years relevant professional experience post-training
- Professional experience supervising, managing, or training staff
- Proven practical skills in the design, implementation, and evaluation of surveys, and in quantitative/qualitative research methods
- Ability to launch surveillance systems, conduct trainings, and plan campaigns, such as those to combat epidemics or malnutrition
- Experience with relevant software
- Ability to work within a diverse team