As a nurse working for Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) you may be asked to take part in organizing a mass vaccination initiative for measles or in triaging an influx of displaced people fleeing conflict. You may run a program to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV, operate a feeding center, or be called upon to initiate a training program for local medical staff. Additional tasks may include hospital organization, oversight of hygiene measures, management of drug stocks, data collection, and contact with local authorities.
During your MSF assignment, direct patient care may be limited, while a significant responsibility will be the training, supervising, and managing of local nursing staff or community health providers. At the same time, your mission will be a learning experience as you gain knowledge from local health workers’ management of medical conditions not often found in the United States.
Expertise or experience in emergency, pediatrics, infectious diseases, tropical diseases, and/or public health is particularly applicable to the field. Note that MSF also recruits Nurse-Midwives, Nurse Anesthetists and Neonatal nurses.
French or Arabic skills are strongly recommended. Please note that selection is extremely competitive for nurses who do not speak French or Arabic.
Click here to see a generic job description and potential career path with MSF.
- Compliance with Essential Requirements for all potential candidates
- Commitment to work in the field for a minimum of 9 to 12 month assignments
- Appropriate diploma, degree (RN (BSN / ASN) or NP - we do not accept LPNs), and current valid license
- Professional experience in a lower-income country or humanitarian context
- Minimum of three years relevant professional experience post training
- At least 6 months of practical experience within the last two years
- Professional experience supervising, managing or training staff
- Ability to work within a diverse team
- Training in at least one of the following:
- Infectious diseases
- Public health
- Tropical medicine
- Experience in at least one of the following:
- Neonatal care
- Infection Prevention Control
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Vaccination campaigns
- French or Arabic language (B2 or above)