NEW YORK/GOMA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO, April 4, 2023—A humanitarian disaster is underway in North Kivu province, in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the international medical organization Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) warned today, calling on the international community and the Congolese authorities to scale up efforts to meet the needs of people affected by armed clashes.
About one million people have fled fighting linked to the resurgence of the M23 armed group in North Kivu over the past year. The humanitarian response so far has been vastly inadequate, MSF said, leaving people highly vulnerable to health risks including cholera, measles, malnutrition and sexual violence.
"The crisis in North Kivu has become utterly shocking in its scale and severity, but the humanitarian response is far too slow in too many places," said Avril Benoît, executive director of MSF-USA, currently working in Goma. "There is a glaring lack of aid reaching people with basic needs for shelter, medicine, food, and drinking water. We see that the health impacts are enormous and growing."